Jump to content
25 replies to this topic
Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:12 PM
well I was done with the first ever swimbait and was e-texing the last coat and then it happened, I dropped it on the sawdust infested floor.I tried to wipe it up, the more I wiped the more my blood pressure went up. So I did what any other lure maker in my shoes would do got made throwed it away and started over. Here is todays start. I still need to sand some more and trim the joints back so they wont rub. This was a dry fit to see if the pins were true. If you look you cansee the beads I was talking about in a past post. I just wish I had some smaller beads so my hinge hole wasnt so big. It was all I had when I was making musky spinners. This bait will be crappie colored when I finish.
Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:34 PM
I like it. If you dont like the holes. Cover them with a Plaster of Paris can or vent tape or wood. Might be harder but maybe you could still line up the beads if you used a drilled hole instead. I do like the way it looks. fish might think it just a black dot or kill spot.
Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:49 PM
Believe me I do like the bait . The first one swam great, just wish I had nt dropped it.
Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:20 PM
One thought. If you find you want more "roll" action, on your next one you could put the beads on the inside rather than the outsides. Same effect but would bring the weight of the beads closer to midline, thus reducing the inertia....
Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:36 PM
Those joints are sharp, I really like the beads. What about beads on top and bottom of the screw eyes, have tried that? Get that bait out of the trash and sand it down to the first coat, then re-apply the e-tex and add some glitter. The fish could care less about a little saw dust mixed with glitter.
Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:44 PM
Benton, I'm sure Jamie will correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the double beads would be uneccessary, as the single bead on the top limits travel one way, and the bottom limits travel in the other....
Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:46 PM
Jamie - I was looking at it and wondering if either lure bodies or rivets would add the same friction free surface without as much bulk. Regardless of beads, lure bodies, or rivets; none of them will ever wear out. Good luck in keeping this on sawdust free; it's looking great so far.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:36 AM
Jamie, you should retrieve the ruined lure and use it for testing. You get the opportunity to experiment with different weight combinations and locations. Valuable information, normally not available, as such lures take so much effort to build, very few would be willing to committ to that amount of work purely for testing.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:31 AM
First, save that "ruined" lure! Too much work to just toss it.
Second, what kind of a paint scheme are you going to use for your crappie?
I just did a black crappie in a new way.
I did the belly and lower body silver, and the mid, upper and back black, and then used drywall mesh to put a scale pattern over the base on the sides with silver. It really makes the lure light up, just like a black crappie in full spawn colors. I did two, one as described, and the second with some irridescent green over the silver scale and black back. Just enough to give it a slightly green cast. Then spray silver Krylon glitter.
It really shines.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:37 AM
Mark Can you post some pics? I am trying to get a couple ideas for my next crappie paint
Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:42 AM
I will post them into the gallery. I haven't figured out how to post them onto the forum yet.
Give me a couple of hours to take the pics, and I'll do it.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:42 AM
Clemmy, you are correct. I need to start thinking while I'm looking.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:56 AM
I put them in the gallery, along with a description of what I did.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:17 AM
Jamie.............Gett he old lure back and even if you don't use it, keep it for reference. You still might be able to salvage it though. Sand it until all the sawdust is smooth then start over with the painting again. If you made a good bait, a little sawdust shouldn't stand in your way.
Also....................never topcoat/paint near where you do your sanding/cutting. If you do, make sure the room is clean.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:58 PM
Thanks guys I going to work on it some more this weekend if time will allow it. I did have a second plan of attack on a new lure that Im working on at the same time as this one . The lure has the same shape and style as this one ,but the hinge will be a little different. Will post pics when I get all the joints ready for a dry fit.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:09 PM
You are right on the money, tried it on the old bait and it swam great.
Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:57 PM
If you ever drop a bait like that again, get some paper-towels and wipe all the etex off and then set it aside to dry. When the bait is dry, you can primer it again and repaint or just etex over the top again. Make sure you are wearing gloves to keep the etex off your skin.
Great looking lure you have there, I like the shape, you are doing a nice clean job.
Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:48 AM
Ive messed up a few clear coats and I just let it dry and took some 80 grit and sanded away, didnt take long at all to get the epoxy off it, then smoothed it out with some 220 and I was mgood to go !!!! dont throw it away !!!
Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:18 AM
I know I should of saved the bait but my frustration and my temper got the best of me. The trash man has it now so Im trying to move forward and start over. Riverman the shape im useing is the same shape of a glider bait that I make.