Tally

Paint scheme

What determines the paint scheme that you use. Can there be to much design in patterns or two many colors? Or is o.k. to just use your imagination? I am painting a crank right now that started off looking real good and then it got ugly and then uglier. It is so ugly now that it is starting to look good.

Tally

Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks again for all the help!

Tally Im not a expert by any means but go with your imagination think about some of the color's that have become popular in the last few year's when someone first shot them they probably thought the same thing ! Who knows you may hit on the latest and greatest !

Vmaxx

the real critics are you and the fish.

I experiment a ton, in fact, I hate doing the same colors unless I find them super-productive. I never strip the paint off lure that I've airbrushed if it is just experimentation. The clearcoat usually livens up whatever "horrible mistake" you've painted. I don't judge my own paint schemes, and I don't think any human should, because when it comes down to it, it is only the fish's judgement that matters! :lol:

Tally,

There are no boundaries on colors or design. Sometimes the uglier the better. When I first painted a purple and chartreuse (Table Rock Shad) some 15 years ago, I had no idea that it would win so much money and then be copied by every major manufacturer there is. What is ugly to you may not be ugly to the fish. I thought it was a very ugly color combo and still do. Catch a few 7 pounders on that ugly lure and see how pretty it becomes to everyone else. Use your imagination which has no limits. Don't be afraid of ugly!