Jeep

Signing lures

Maybe a stupid question... but I do like to sign my lures when they are almost finished just before the final topcoat.

So I bought a staedler permanent marker. But as it turned out when I looked again next morning.. all writing had turned into one big smear by the etex!

:flame:

So I wonder: what do you guys use to sign your lures?

Thnx

A fine tipped Sharpie (the tiny tip). Just before the Devcon......

He's using Etex BJ!! :)

Like Clamboni said, use a compatible clear like Createx clear if you're using Createx paint, an you won't be able to tell that it is there. I always use either the Parma or Createx gloss clear over my sig and then heat set it thoroughly...works for Etex, Devcon, or in my case, Dicknite's. The Extra Fine, or the Ultra Fine tipped Sharpie will work...my favorite is the Extra Fine if you can find them.

Common practice with Etex is to wait about 10 minutes after mixing to apply it to a lure, so it coats a little thicker. About 15 minutes into a mix of Etex, the solvent probably won't bother your Sharpie sig, but clearing over it first still makes it really pop; that goes for Devcon also.

Dean

If you use ETEX or another clearcoat that contains solvent, you can't use solvent based pens to sign or draw details on your bait - that includes Sharpies, etc. The easiest solution for me was to buy a fine poiint calligraphy pen (less than $5 at Michaels, etc) and use Createx black to sign the lure. A calligraphy pen is basically a plastic stick with an old style fountain pen nib attached to the end. This works out well because black is the last color I use for kill spots, etc on lures - so I just dip the pen in the airbrush cup and sign it. And black Createx flows through the pen tip better than any other color due to its small pigment particle size. It makes finer lines than any Sharpie. My signatures still look like crap but at least the lines are fine and never smeared :lol:

Hmm - Micron $200; Calligraphy pen $2. OK, the Micron has other uses but so does the pen. Write home to Mommy, do some unique temporary tatoos before you hit the singles bar, etc. I'm sure Rookie could find even more fun things to do with one!

LOL!!! BOB I have been wasting the last 30 mins thinkin about crap I could do with a pen!!! The list was too long to post!!!

But for the record.. I ment Micron PEN!!! You can buy one at HOBBY Lobby for about 2.47 cent!!! not a Micron Iwata... If I could use a Micron IWATA to sign my name that small.. The last thing I would paint is fishing lures!!

LOL!!! BOB I have been wasting the last 30 mins thinkin about crap I could do with a pen!!! The list was too long to post!!!

But for the record.. I ment Micron PEN!!! You can buy one at HOBBY Lobby for about 2.47 cent!!! not a Micron Iwata... If I could use a Micron IWATA to sign my name that small.. The last thing I would paint is fishing lures!!

Micron, Water based paint, and 60 psi. Thinking that wouldn't go too well.