MR KNOW IT ALL KIND OF

Lexan lip BROKE!

I had a lexan lip break last night when my lure crashed against the rocks..... MY FAULT for fishing in pitch dark... Plus Im rusty with my casting lately.. haven't been on the lake much.. Now I dont know if I cut out a old picece of plexy glass thinkin it was lexan.. but Im about 95 percent sure it was Lexan!! I have tried to break this crap in the past with pliers.. all I ever do is bend it... ANY THOUGHTS!!! :?:?

Good news is.. I just drilled out the old lip and put a new one in today!:yay:

Is lexan unbreakable? I always thought it was the best you could put on your baits.

I guess , that it must be that 5% of your uncertainity , though I am not sure about wether Lexan may go through a process of "aging" under certain circumstances(long exposure to sunlight or contact with solvents or chemicals or similar) , that may render it breakable:? .

Many years ago I have made some three larger lures with Plexiglass lips from scrap(didn't know it better back then) , one accidentally slipped from my hand and fell tail first on the floor , the impact shock was enough to crack off the lip like laser-cut around the belly curve !

Thought , that the lip was damaged before , so I dropped a second lure intentionally the same way , and it happened again !

After I cut out all the three lips on my routing machine and replaced them with aluminium ones .

Good Luck , diemai

Edited by diemai
addition of text

You obviously need to know for sure what the problem was.

Because lexan and plexiglass are different materials, then a scratch comparison test with a sharpened nail should give you the answer, if you compare with a known piece of lexan and plexiglass. I don't have any myself, or I would do the test to confirm a difference.

Also, closely examine the broken edge. Is the break clean? If rings are visible, this would indicate a flaw in the material, at the centre of the rings.

Does anyone know of another method of telling plexiglass from lexan?

Rookie,

Here is the simplest test you can do.

Put acetone, or thinner containing acetone on the remaining lip. If the acetone melts the lip, you will know it is plexi. If acetone whitens the lip, it is Lexan. Better put a piece of the lip in acetone, because it takes some time for you to see the result.

I was surprised at how many different grades of polycarbonate there are. This is a list of compounds that can damage polycarbonate:

• Acetone
  • Acrylonitrile
  • Ammonia
  • Amyl acetate
  • Benzene
  • Bromine
  • Butyl acetate
  • Sodium hydroxide
  • Chloroform
  • Dimethylformamide
  • Concentrated hydrochloric acid
  • Concentrated hydrofluoric acid
  • Iodine
  • Methanol
  • Methyl ethyl ketone
  • Styrene
  • Tetrachloroethylene
  • Toluene
  • Concentrated sulfuric acid
  • Xylene
  • Cyanoacrylate monomers

At temperatures above 60

Guys Im more sure its LEXAN now!!! It was solid hit... David is right.. I SMACK THE ROCKS HARD!! I was more happy my bait didnt have any chips or marks on the lure!!! IM GIVING THIS BAIT TO DEAN ANYWAY!!!! LOL!!.. .The lip was a easy fix.. Yall know Im not chemist! Im buying LEXAN with WHITE AND ORANGE Plastic sheet BACKING!! What grade is WHITE AND ORANGE!!! Do they have a BLACK AND BLUE GRADE!!! White and Orange sounded sissy right from the START!!!

It was a CLEAN BREAK VOKAMAN!! LOOKed LIKE A SNAP!! I guess I will take a picture if this happens again!!! I already replaced it and its good to go back to the water... ITS all MIKEY's FAULT!! He turned on his dam Radio BUCKET right when I was castin! Yall have to see this new thing my boy Mikey invented. REMEMBER THE TRUCK LURE!! YEP SAME GUY!!!! He put a freakin Car RADIO into a 5 gallon bucket!!! I SWEAR I DONT MAKE THIS STUFF UP!!! The crazy thing is.. He wants me to sell it on ebay!!! and I actually think someone will buy it!!! He said

"you can take it anywhere!!! GOLFING... FISHING... HUNTING.. well wait a min.. nope huntin might not be that great of idea Matt!! etc etc...!!! "

And it has this neat handle!!! Those were his exact words!! I will post a picture of it SOON!! WORDS JUST CANT EXPLAIN MIKEY's RADIO BUCKET!! or the boys MIND!!! We got to get Mikey a REALITY SHOW!!!! Remember that movie ED TV!!! MIKEY WOULD BE PERFECT!!!

Thanks for the help on the LEXAN DEAL!!! BLACKJACK MIGHT BE RIGHT!!! because the break was near the end where the glue and clear coat would contact the lip just outside of the slot! Maybe the chemicals made the lip weak!!! but I did hit the rocks HARD!! I think it was a perfect hit too!!

At least were not talking about EPOXY!!!! OR DN!!!!

There are different grades of Polycarbonate aka. Lexan. For each lesser grade there are impurities mixed in with it. The purest is used for bullet proof glass. A 1/16" thick 1ftX1ft piece is $80 plus. If you buy cheap polycarbonate then you get alot of impurities mixed with it. In 7 years of making baits I have never had a lip break. I have only had 1 lip come loose in the slot due to a rock hit. Do your homework and get the best grade that you can afford.

Skeeter

Edited by Skeeter

Lexan is strong, however it will break/snap when it meets a rock with a direct shot. Have had it happen a couple times when chunking near riprap. See it all the time with repairs.

The beauty in breaking one is having the skill and knowledge to repair it.

:yay:

Yes, and if I know The_Rook, it was probably about a 400 yard cast that would have left a crater had it landed on soil instead of a rock!

:eek::P

Hey CHEESE!! NICE ONE!!!! dont know what I did to you to make you say that.. but it was funny even at my expense. If you cant laugh at yourself who can you laugh at!!

Skeeter I was just cuttin up with you... I hope you took it that way.. Thanks for making me aware of bulletproof Lexan.. I only posted this thread because I was suprized.. .. You learn something new everyday.. and I still have alot to learn..

The Rookie