basscat

What can you use for a lure holder

When I'm having a good day, I usually hold the lure with my left hand and paint with my right. However, at 60 yrs. old, sometimes I get the shakes and have to use an old fly tying vise to hold the lure steady. I paint mostly with acrylic so I don't mind the mess on my hand as it easily washes off. Oh, by the way! The shakes are not from drinking. I'm just getting old.

Best Fishing Supplies on the Net - Home

Basscat,

X-Acto knife handles work great. Open the jaws, insert the hook hanger, and tighten it down. Just make sure that get the ones with the metal jaws, not the cheap plastic ones. Also, if you're using screw eyes for your hook hangers, you can make some lure holders/painting wands by epoxying a screw eye to a piece of 1/4-inch dowel.

Gene

Any cheap want-a-be needle nose vise grip will work - But before you spend any money, take a long slow look at the things in your home right now see if there is anything you could use if you had to. It might surprise you what is right there, right now, within 10 feet of were your sitting.

If you can't find anything, try moving... Just a few mental munchies to feed the old brain-housing assembly.:popcorn:

I use two 5 inch springs on each side of my paintbooth. Got them from lowes about 3 bucks, Just bend a U on one end of each and hook them on the front and back eyes. I have one hooked to a swivel and the other to a dowel so I can rotate on its axis as I paint. I think I posted a pic of my paint booth a while back. Got a sweeter one now but still the same holder setup.

I stick a "false lip" in the lip slot and clamp a hemostat on it. A false lip is just a small piece of lip material the same thickness as the lure's actual lip, with a piece of masking tap over it if required for a firm friction fit in the lip slot. I drill a hole in the end of the false lip and use it to hang the baits on nails above my workspace in the garage. Hemostats (locking forceps) are very handy to hold baits but clamping them on a hook hanger can be a "maybe" proposition. The false lip works much better for me.

Bamboo Chop Sticks.....you Can Buy A Bundle Of 20 For $1.00....cut Them In Half...this Leaves About 5 Or 6 Inches To Work With...when Taping Up The Bill I Tape On The Piece With The Tapered End...great To Hold On To..also If I'm Turning I Have A Roticery Motor That Drives A 1"x2" Board That Is 30" Long With 3/16" Holes Every 2"...push The Tapered End In And It Tightens Up !!!with The Other End I Sand A Angle (from Front Back An Inch Or So) And Then Put A Shallow V On It And You Have A Great Tool To Get Hooks Out...especially Pan Fish Nugene