.dsaavedra.

New Batch of Swimbaits

I like that blue gill as well, How much are you wanting for 1 ?

The only thing I am not a fan of is the space between the sections, any ideas of different hardware to tighten it up yet ?

i came up with 2 prices (including shipping). if you want the lure with hooks and split rigns, it is $20, if you are willing to put your own hooks and split rings on, $15.

as for the joint, im sure there are ways to hide the space, but i think that is just more asethetically pleasing to the fisherman. this lure has some awesome action and the fish really seemed to like it. i think the action is what catches fish, not the looks. i wouldnt want to change the joint for fear of messing up the action!

well i thinned it down to the consistency of acrylic paint, so it was very easy to apply with a brush.

it worked great!

the epoxy went on easy and flowed out smooth very nicely.

these baits really look a whole lot better with a clear coat!

i mixed epoxy and was able to do the baby bass and the shad, but then it started getting thick, so i mixed some more (separatley) and used it for the bluegill.

the clear coat on the bluegill turned out kind of rough, like there were bubbles in it that had risen to the surface making it textured. im not sure if there really were bubbles though. any idea why this happened?

Sometimes that happens to me if I don't let the epoxy sit for a minute to let the big bubbles rise and burst. Also, if I add alcohol to thin it, I need to wait, too. Last possibility might be alcohol in the brush that reintroduces some bubbles as you brush.

It may have something to do with the photo finish process, but I doubt it.

Mostly it's because epoxy doesn't like us, and just does stuff like that to piss us off!

Edited by mark poulson

i came up with 2 prices (including shipping). if you want the lure with hooks and split rigns, it is $20, if you are willing to put your own hooks and split rings on, $15.

At the risk of alienating everyone on this site, you're not charging enough.

Those lures are worth at least twice what you're asking, if not more, and shipping is going to set you back at least another $5. And you had to pay for the wood, hardware, paint, and epoxy.

Ask for what they're really worth, and what you'd like to get for them. The worst that will happen is you may have to lower your price, but you'll never know what they're worth unless you ask a good price for them.

Your time and effort is worth more than $20 for those lures.

That bluegill is a $75 lure.

Go online and check out some of the lures that are getting big bucks on Ebay. Yours shine compared to a lot of them.

Remember, if you sell yourself short, there's always someone to meet your price.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

At the risk of alienating everyone on this site, you're not charging enough.

Those lures are worth at least twice what you're asking, if not more, and shipping is going to set you back at least another $5. And you had to pay for the wood, hardware, paint, and epoxy.

Ask for what they're really worth, and what you'd like to get for them. The worst that will happen is you may have to lower your price, but you'll never know what they're worth unless you ask a good price for them.

Your time and effort is worth more than $20 for those lures.

That bluegill is a $75 lure.

Go online and check out some of the lures that are getting big bucks on Ebay. Yours shine compared to a lot of them.

Remember, if you sell yourself short, there's always someone to meet your price.

are you serious!?!?

you really think that bluegill is a $75 lure?

i would feel like i ripped someone off if i got 75 dollars for one of these!

i probably would want to get some extra for shipping though. maybe $20 + $3 for shipping.

i just cant believe you think that is worth $75. i dont know who would pay that for such a small swimbait when they could buy one from a manufacture for cheaper (jackall giron is very similar to mine and it is $20)

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

oh, and as for the textured clear coat on the bluegill...

i was thinking it might have something to do with the fact that i put the clear coat over paper.

i noticed that the texture was only over the parts with paper, it wasnt on the back which was just wood with paint on it.

are you serious!?!?

you really think that bluegill is a $75 lure?

i would feel like i ripped someone off if i got 75 dollars for one of these!

i probably would want to get some extra for shipping though. maybe $20 + $3 for shipping.

i just cant believe you think that is worth $75. i dont know who would pay that for such a small swimbait when they could buy one from a manufacture for cheaper (jackall giron is very similar to mine and it is $20)

DSV,

Your lure is hand made, original, and unique, and that makes it worth a lot more than a plastic production lure all day long.

Split the difference between your $20, and my $75, and ask $55.

If you don't ask, you'll never know. You already know you have a market at $20. Find out just how much your time and effort are really worth.

I, for one, would feel like I was taking advantage of you if I let you sell me one of those lure for only $20. It's worth a lot more than that, period.

If you don't believe me, do a site search for the Rookie, and pm him and ask him. He know the value of lures. He makes and sells them, and he's honest. Not pretty, but honest. :lol:

I do believe Mark is right. If you want to find out for sure, put one up for auction and let the bidding begin. You may be right about the paper causing bubbles. I have just done my first photo finish (yes, you and Husky are to blame :pissed:) I had already sealed the balsa body in prep for painting. Then when this bug hit me I decided to foil it instead. After foiling I coated the bait with etex, one coat. Let it dry 24 hrs. Lure looked great and the etex provided a good base for paint to cover the seams in the top and belly. Since I'm a DN person, I finished with Dick Nites. Bait looks pretty good. Don't have pics to post, maybe later.

David

WELL....

i got the lure finished. well at least i thought they were finished. i put 2 coats of thinned epoxy and got a satisfactory clear coat, but then when i put them in a bucket of water to see their rate of fall, they all floated! :eek:

so now im not quite finished. i gotta go out and drill some more holes and pour some more lead and then cover up with paint and epoxy. THEN i'll be finished....

lesson learned.... test before finish. :boo:

@ DSV

I ALWAYS test prior to painting !

Once I have thought , that I could save myself from that extra work , and got punished instantly:( !

Had a bunch of 5 equal jerkbaits , same model , same size , same dimensions and same wood(teakwood kitchen boards).

Wanted to weight them slowly sinking , and after having determined about the neccessary weight on two lures , I stopped my waterbucket trials , just embedded the same size of an olive sinker into all of these lures .

After finally topcoating them I've found two jerks still to be floating !

Still can fish them this way , but it tought me a lesson , not to leave out this step on ANY single lure :yes:!

greetz , Dieter

Edited by diemai
spelling mistake

You are not doing yourself or anyone else in the hand made industry by selling yourself short. The way I look at it personally, is that my time and effort is worth a dollar figure per hour, the number that my previous employer paid me is a good starting point. That is the number that I am looking for. Now I would accept slightly less, as I would be working to my own terms and enjoying my work for the very first time in my life.

In many cases, the buying public (even members of this site!) needs educating as to what is involved in making these piscatorial masterpieces. If they want personalised quality, individual fine tuning etc, then it has to be paid for. We are not competing with rapala and the big boys, we provide a superior product. The big boys are competing with us.

Daimai, a 5% difference in the hand carving volume can make a big difference. Carving to this accuracy is about the limit. So you are right, if you are looking for a specific result, like a slow sinker or floater, each one will have to be individually tuned for ballast. I estimate a required accuracy of +/- 0.5% for making suspended (or close to) lures. This fits in with the above discussion. I am thinking of offering a suspended lure option, guaranteed to rise or fall within x seconds per foot. But for this level of fine tuning, the cost would increase significantly.