Mags

Clean lines with airbrush

I admire many of the paint jobs on here and am wondering how some of you guys get such clean lines without masking. For instance, when painting a table rock shad color I'll paint the base chartreuse and then add the purple back. An easy paint scheme. However,what invariably happens is I get some purple dots (atomized paint) from the purple bleeding into the chartreuse. Am I not thinning my paint enough or do I need a fine needle and head? I believe the three guns I have are all medium needles. Almost all my paints are Createx. This is one hurdle I'm still working on with my painting.

Steve

The dots are usually from shooting thick paint at high pressure. Some of it bounces and settles down the side of the lure. Things that can help: lower pressure, thinner paint, and slanting the top of the lure away from you so bouncing paint skips over the back and not down the side.

mark,..I had the same problem and it took awhile to figure it out....I did have to thin it a bit but I also had to adjust the amount of paint coming out of the tip...........I have a piece of cardboard right where i spray and i adjust the tip so hardly any paint comes out, then I got real close to the cardboard and practiced writing my name and address and stuff.......after i got that down, thats when I attempted that babybass lure......

What air brush are you using? I don't ever thin the createx I use and I shoot everything at 45 PSI. The only time I have the problem you are mentioning is if the tip has some paint on it. I simply wipe if off with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and go for it. If you get a few specks down into the other color that's ok, it will still look nice and natural. You probably already know this but keep in mind that the distance your brush is from the lure will effect the pattern also. My guess is that most of your problem is the result of your brush.

RM

Edited by RiverMan