jcarman

Rotisserie lure turner

I recently found a chicken rotisserie at a yard sale for $5. I bought it and took it home to see if I could alter it to make a lure turner. I couldn't be happier. All I had to do was buy some threaded hooks to install into the holes that were already in the side wheels, and some springs to use to hold the lures between the hooks. The appliance had a setting where you could rotate the lures without heat on, or you can turn the heat on for a few minutes to get rid of the bubbles in the epoxy and speed up the cure a little. It has a light inside too so you can watch the lures as they set-up, and a timer to let you know when they are ready to come out. I can fit 6 7" minnows in the unit at a time. I'll post some pic's when I get a chance! Anyone else used one of these?

Jeff,

I know I get worried about safety pretty quickly when it comes to paint and electric heat elements. I'm sure you've inspected the unit to ensure that there isn't a possibility of developing enough heat to cause an explosive condition with the paint or clear coat; or the actual lure itself. But, no matter how good your intentions are about being RIGHT THERE when using the heating elements, how long would it take for something to go wrong if it's left unattended? Can the enclosure be removed or altered so the fumes can't collect inside?

The basic idea sounds great - what could make a better lure turner. But paint fumes, enclosures, and electricity don't always work real well together - Just a few mental munchies to chew on for a while.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

Thanks Bruce-

Actually, the nice thing about it is that you can unplug the element and remove it completely from the machine for cleaning. And the switching allows you to turn on the rotisserie without heat or with heat, and it's pretty difficult to turn on the heat without doing so intentionally.

I did think about fumes, but since I am using epoxy out coat there shouldn't be anything flammable floating around in there anyway, at least for this process.:flame:

I do appreciate the warnings though, it wouldn't be unheard of for me to do something...uh...stupid!:lol:

Jeff

Well so far it's working good. I actually saw a few people on this site adapting a BBQ rotisserie to make a lure turner, and when I saw this thing it made good sense. Funny thing is that the woman said she had cooked 1 chicken in it and it worked good, but it was a pain to get out and clean every time. I figure this is the case with most people, so there oughta be lots of them out there for the taking!

I got it set up on my bar right now, just above the beer fridge, so I am sure to check on the lures at least every 15 minutes:sauced:!