Jeep

Fibbets and alternatives?

Hi Guys,

On my new bait I'm going to try to fix a soft tail using fibbets I bought at a local fly fishing shop. I saw some guys here do that and I think it just looks great. The fibbets are really nice material; the fibers are really thin but remain straight after being flexed as it seems.

The downpart of them is their price: just enought for the tailfin cost around 4,50 dollar. So if I would do the other fins as well total would be around 30 dollars!!.. and that is just no fun anymore.. so I'm thinking of alternatives.

Any suggestions? I've looked at bristels on brushes but they are just not as nice..

Thnx

Jeep

@ Jeep

I am not into fly-tying and other "hairy " stuff , but I always look at things with a "could-I-use-this-for-lures" attitude .

How about checking fibres of dust brooms , radiator brooms , maybe also artificial hair , that they sell in so-called "Afro-Shops" for those "Rasta" hairstyles(also have them in brighter colors) , you should have these shops in Holland as well , here in Hamburg we have quite a few for our African citizens.

Just let your imagination take over !

greetz , Dieter

I just finished my first prototype swimbait and I used weed guards that I just purchased for pouring weedless lead heads and they worked awesome. Seperated them into individual strands laid on a piece of tape, shaped to fit tail slot, taped over the top to keep in place, and finally epoxied into place. Worked great and far easier to work with as opposed to paint brush bristles. I used two for my bait and they cost about 5 cents a piece. I am going to post a pic of the bait later this afternoon.