JSC

Powder Painting With Torch

OK This may seem like a dumb question :? ... but ... I just got a Butane Torch to heat jigs for Powder Painting ... I have been using a heat gun & I am not "Swift" enough to heat them in the oven ... so I figured this would be faster, easier and cheaper & of course the first thing I did was melt a jig off the hook ... painted a few ... Now the questions

1. What part of the flame is the best to use ?

2. I know this will vary according to how large an item is but lets say for a 1/4 jig .. what is the aprox. time it takes to heat ?

Thanx in advance for a little help on this.

JSC

:)

The hottest part of the flame is light blue triangle, in front of the nozzle. If you use a cooler part of the flame, there maybe carbon present from incomplete combustion. This may lead to sooting your job. You'll just have to regulate the temperature by moving the flame on and off the jig. Just my thoughts, I don't powder paint.

When I use powder paint, I use a small hurricane lamp base with the wick. Use denatured alcohol and heat the jig for a couple seconds. and then dip your jig. Once you do a few, you'll know how long you have to heat them to get the finish you want. After they've dried, then you can bake them for 15-20 minutes to harden the paint even more.

OK This may seem like a dumb question :? ... but ... I just got a Butane Torch to heat jigs for Powder Painting ... I have been using a heat gun & I am not "Swift" enough to heat them in the oven ... so I figured this would be faster, easier and cheaper & of course the first thing I did was melt a jig off the hook ... painted a few ... Now the questions

1. What part of the flame is the best to use ?

2. I know this will vary according to how large an item is but lets say for a 1/4 jig .. what is the aprox. time it takes to heat ?

Thanx in advance for a little help on this.

JSC

:)

Why did you get away from using a heat gun? Just curious. I'm not saying it can't be done any other way, it's just that I have been using a heat gun from day one going on 8+ years, and I put on mutiple colors with no problem. I don't have any issues with a heat gun. Good, clean, even heat.

Edited by cadman

I think it a matter of preference and what you are most comfortable using. Both do the job well.

I use the torch for one reason and that is because I can see my source of heat and exactly where I want to place the jig in that heat source. With a heat gun (and I have tried it over and over), I manage to burn my fingers more than I care to admit to.

You will have to play around and experiment to see what is comfortable for you when using a torch. You don't need a real heavy flame, you are not trying to cut steel. I set my flame so it is only about 3/4" tall with a light blue center. When heating the jig I am continually moving it not letting the flame stay in the same place on the jig very long, you will melt many if you do. I like the jig hot enough so that when removed from the powder, it is melted and very wet or glossy looking. Remember, too hot will get you too much paint on the jig. Just play around and adjust your times accordinly. You will be painting beauties in no time.

Good Luck

Thanx Guys for the replies.

I have been using a heat gun with good results .... with electricity prices going up I was thinking that the torch might be more economical .. and like Reeves siad .. you can see the flame.

Just a new learning curve ... my shop is so hot right now (an exhaust fan and a floor fan and its too hot except early AM) will be doing more shortly with fall not to far off (and all that better fishing) ...

Thanx Again guys ... the ones I did on the first try with the torch came out good just got to get the timing down ... and now I know where to concentrate in the torch flame.

Later

JSC

JSC,

I know that you stated you were wanting to get away from using electric to heat your jigs, but I would still recommend a toaster oven to preheat them. The advantages of a toaster over is that you can preheat lots of jigs at one time. Another advantage is the the jigs will all be preheated to the same temperature so it takes the guess work out of counting over a flame or heat gun. What we do is place the jigs in the toaster oven. I place them in a pan and my buddy insists on hanging them from the rack. What ever approach you use is fine. We then preheat them at 375 to 400 for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then simply pull them out with a pair of hemostats and dip in the fluid bed of jar of powder paint. We have done hundreds and hour this way. What it boils down to is what you are more comfortable with. I know cadman makes some supernice jigs and uses a heat gun. I have even used a candle. Good luck with what ever process you choose and have fun!!

Thanks,

Benjamin

I use all 3 methods. However, I'd never usea torch ...... that's overkill in my book and expensive. If I use a flame, I just use a candle or an alcohol lamp. Alcohol because it's very cheap, quick to use and burns very clean. Just light the lamp and put the jig in the flame and count and dip. Try a couple of different counts until you find the one that gives the temp that gives you the best paint melt for you.

If I'm making a bunch of jigs or very large jigheads I use the oven but if I'm just painting 20 for a fishing trip I just use the candle. I like the candle better than the heat gun but that's just my preference.

I have been using a propane torch to heat my jigs for years and then I put them in a toaster oven to cure. This works great! Just watch your lead and you can tell when it is getting too hot. The lead will get shiney looking and then melting will occur! I usually try to keep my jigs out away from the blue flame to get even heat through out the jig! I paint jigs from 1/8 oz to 8 oz this way.

Thanks Guys

About the oven ... I have tried preheating (both on the rack and in the pan) ... I just seem to not get enough of them painted before they need re heating ... Guess I am too slow .. Course I make the final cure in the oven with a couple of racks that I have made that slip in (one at the time) just right .. i can be cureing one rack while painting and loading the other rack ... will be doing a few next week (got a grand son getting married this week end and seems like "POP" gets caught doing some jobs that I never thought of ...) ...

A lot of this is what works best for you .. and I am trying several ways ... I was sure glad to get into this powder painting from what I did years ago ... Epoxy Boat Paint .. Dipping racks, and all that good stuff... never did less than about 2 thousand at a time back then ... You mix that epoxy and try to use it down to the last drop. Also went the lacquer then dip in clear Epoxy Boat Paint to keep soft plastic from eating the lacquer up.

Thanks Again

JSC

Edited by JSC

If I want cheap. I use a alcohol lamp. Use the propane for solder. I fill the heat gun is the best but the alcohol lamp is my second choice. Are you leaving the oven on While you paint open the door grab one close the door. I think the oven is the fastest way to paint but if you want to add mutable colors you need a second way to heat. If you want to save money get a alcohol lamp and a metal reloading powder funnel (generally for black powder reloading)and use three bolts in a peace of wood that hold the funnel up side down, over the flame on the alcahol lamp. All the heat will be directed to the point of the funnel and you will be away from the open flame. That will help you add more heat after the paint is on the jig with out burning the paint. I think that is the cheapest way to heat your jig.

Bassducer ... Good idea ... most any thing like taht with a trhermostat should work OK.

Now if I could find some use for that old pop electric toaster ....

igotworms .... baking them afterwards cures the paint faster ...

JSC

I remember the first time I used a Oil Lamp, I left it in to long and when I dipped it in the paint. all the lead stayed in the paint - lol I now use a heat gun and I cure them in a table top oven, I can cure 10 at a time ( Spinnerbaits and buzz baits ) and it has a timer on it, Usually when the timer goes off I have another load to put in.

As far as the eyes go, I have tried several ways, from super glueing them on to using clear coat over them. I now put them on when they are hot form the glue gun and they go thru the curing process. Some pain seals around the eyes and they aint coming off.

IGOTWORMS, if you want the hardness in the paint, you MUST bake them after painting. To prove it to yourself, take one after it cools from painting and drop it on the cement floor. It will chip. Do the same test after baking and it may dent the bait, but won't chip. Baking links up the chemicals in the paint for the hardness and that is about as technical as I am capable of getting.

I've used the torch since day one and don't have any reason to change. I always count in my head as I heat each bait and (after many years of trial and error) have a good idea of the count for each size I pour. To answer the question about a 1/4 oz jig- 8-10 seconds.

Big-D

I just used a torch this past weekend. I'll be going back to my heat gun for the next batch. it is my opinion that the torch heats too unevenly.

Never had that issue, but neither method is for everyone, whatever works best for you is the right method. Heat gun just takes to long for me. Now the gun did work well for spinners I was playing around with.

Wife is out of town will the digital camera should have it back Mon. I will try to get a pic up on Mon night. In the mean time the funnel has three long bolts holding it about 1/4 in above the alcohol burner the three bolts are in a peace of wood at the bottom of the alcohol burner. The alcohol burner can be slid out at any time. The bolt pattern is in a 4 bolt pattern with one missing so you can remove the burner. To make shore the heat is all going out the top stick a peace of rope in and let it smoke you should see it all funnel out the top and not the sides. If not make the hole at the tip of the funnel bigger cutting off some of the tip. Just to clarify just in case. The funnel is up side down pointing away from the alcohol burner.