mike_in_indiana

16 lb foam question...

For you fellas that have experience molding lures with the 16 lb foam, is the foam (once cured) strong enough to support screw eyes or do you have to use a through wire construction on the lures? Been wanting to try to foam molding method and would like to gather as much info as possible before I jump into it. Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Just about everyone using the foam would be thro' wiring, because it is easier, quicker and neater. Just lay the bent wire form in the mold, pour, then close.

But I would say yes to wire loops, epoxy'd in, but NO to screw eyes.

The foam is very brittle and the screw threads cut into the foam, would not have much strength to hold the screw in tension.

However, the twisted wire loop, inserted into an epoxy filled hole would work very well. Because the walls of the hole would be lined with hundreds of little bubble pockets. These would provide an excellent key for the epoxy, preventing the eye from being pulled out.

The above are only my opinions. If you really want to try either method out. You should test the construction. I suggest hanging a bucket of water from the lure for 24 hours. This will weigh about 20 pounds, well in excess of what your rod will take. If the lure survives this, it should be OK.

I have never tried the foam because it was to cold when I was learning foam. What I use and was highly recommended is Alumilite Resin with Micro balloons added for bouyancy. A solid Alumilite resin body can withstand being run over in a parking lot by a 1999 GMC Yukon (scientific durability test). The micro ballons will make the bait softer inside but with 1" twisted wire loops epoxied in I was not able to pull them out with channel lock pliers. Thru wire would be stronger but every time I try it the wire sets crocked in the mold?

Allen