Nightbite

perfect starter kit for airbrushing?

so many talented painters on the sight

I was hoping for some advice

If you could do it all over again what would you start with?

I'm talking the whole kit, I'm ready to dive in with painting and want to do it right the first time.

I have nothing and need to start from scratch.

I was looking at the Iwata pro jet for compression

and wanted to start from there

I'd start over with a quality dual action gravity fed brush and a large compressor. Single action bottom sucking brushes waste paint and I've burned up two smaller 2 and 6 gallon compressers. Don't waste your $ on a tiny compresser "made for airbrushing". They tend to pulse and can screw up a paint job.

I've been using a Badger Anthem (bottom feeder) and later purchased an Iwata HP B (gravity model). The compressor is Sears $100 tank model with an inline filter; lots of use on compressor with no problems yet. I can't imagine an on demand type compressor lasting very long.

The Iwata uses very little paint and can be used free hand in some cases (by Mr. Shakey). As mentioned already, the bottom feeders waste paint (amen). Somebody noted in an earlier post that badger is having a sale.

Figured out how you intend to seal, prime and clear coat; lots of great threads on these subjects.

Good luck!

I'm thinking high quality but modest cost. The Iwata Revolution B with .3mm tip and gravity feed 1/16 oz cup is just about perfect for crankbaits and it's only about $68 from dixieart.com. It's a great "beginners brush" but no matter what airbrush you add to your arsenal in the future, you'll still be happy using the Revolution. It has typical Iwata build quality (flawless!) as the top end Iwatas and it will shoot any kind of paint without problems, but with good control. Since it's over $50, Dixie will ship free. Might as well order Createx paints to go with it, plus the hose, adapter fittings, water trap, etc, you'll need at the same time. Dixie is one of the best sources for airbrush parts and pieces.