MarcDavidBaits

Little More Help

Hey guys, I just want to know two more things before I start painting baits.

1. What is the best way to keep Dick Nites from curing in the can?

2. What do you guys do to keep from getting paint on the eyes? Such as on a Zara Spook, do you put something over to cover them, or take them off the lure, paint it, and glue them back on?

Thanks. Marc.

I dont use DN myself so I will leave that one up to the experts...although I know there is a ton of great information if you search for it.

I would personally always remove the eyes if you are able to I use devcon 5 min epoxy to glue them back in place and then coat them with d2t when the lure is ready for topcoat

i've never used dick nites,

but i know most people take it out of the can and pour it in a glass salsa jar or something similar and then take a piece of aluminum foil or saran wrap and lay it over the opening of the jar and then screw the lid back on. this forms a good seal so that air doesnt get it.

as for the hook hangers and line ties, i intentionally get epoxy in them. this way i can ensure a good seal around where the hanger/eye comes out of the bait. after the epoxy is cured, i go in with a 1/32" high speed cutter on my dremel and clear the epoxy out of the eyes. very simple really.

In my experience, if you leave Dick Nite in the can and reseal the lid several times, it's gonna begin to leak air and cure. Sooner or later! I decant DN into smaller bottles with constricted throats, tighten the lids down and cover them with tin foil. It lasts indefinitely in that mode. For the jar currently used for dipping/pouring, I never let DN drip back into the jar and never pour any unused DN back into it. The bottom line is you want as little air and as little DN surface area exposed to air as possible. At the suggestion of a fellow TU'er, I just ordered some Bloxygen, an inert gas you spray into the DN container to block any reaction with ambient air. DN is great stuff, but air is its enemy!

Painting eyes - I pop them off and throw them away, then use new 3D adhesive eyes or paint on new eyes before clearcoating.

I haven't tried Dick Nite's yet, so I can't comment on it.

I put my eyes on after I've finished the paint job, just before I clear coat with epoxy.

On a repaint and re coat, I mask the eyes with blue painter's tape to keep the paint off, and then uncover them before I top coat.

If I'm redoing the bait down to the sealer (like when I screw up the top coat :flame: ), I pull the eyes off, and put on new ones when I'm done.