CL Rods

Airbrush Paint Sources and Brands

OK, your last responsed to my call for help has prompted me to ask for a poll on the brands of paint everyone is using for Crankbaits.

I have been using mostly Createx and Auto Air plus Pearl Ex/Jacquard and few hobby store cheapies now and then.

But I just finished looking at more Taxidermy sites that provide this Polytranspar and Lifetone Paints that are available in Water base and Lacquer based versions.

So what is everyone using, and are you using water base or lacquer base? If you use lacquer base do you use a lacquer clear final coat?

Sorry if this has been done in the past, but times change and people change preferences.

I only airbrush with water based, and use Createx, Auto Air, Wildlife, and Apple Barrel. That's because those are the only ones I know about, so far.

I topcoat with epoxy, and I use Krylon white primer, pastel fixative, spray glitter, and gloss topcoat with UV protection, although I'm going to coat my first lure with Nu Lustre 55 today, so the gloss topcoat may be a thing of the past.

i haven't been airbrushing that long (4 or 5 months) but I use Createx paints, and any acrylic from walmart or hobby lobby. The difference that I have noticed so far is that it is hard to shoot a fine line with the cheaper paints. i use krylon white for a primer, and top it with etex.

76gator - could you post some of those taxidermy sites you mentioned? I'd be interested in looking at some other types of paint. Thanks,

Alex

I haven't had problems with any brand so choose based on color and price. I've used all the brands mentioned except Auto Air. You try different ones. Open an order and you're disappointed in some of the colors, excited about some others. Eventually, you develop some favorites. IMO Createx is hard to beat for overall quality and the consistent way it shoots. But it comes only in a limited palette and doesn't include "wildlife" hues and some metallics. I keep a stock of standard Createx colors in 4 oz bottles and supplement it with a variety of wildlife greens, grays, and pearls from other brands. It's hard to find a few colors in acrylic, especially a good metallic gold. One of the best is Folkart Inca Gold, a cheap hobby paint. There are a few colors I mix myself, namely blue/gray and bone but I'd rather use premixed colors when possible.

I to am new to the lure making process and have been using Createx. It thins well, covers good and the clean-up is not messy. I purchase it for about $3.00 a bottle :yes:from Blicks art supplies in Atlanta, Ga. My best guess is to listen to what the guys at TU have found and you can save a lot of time and money, thats what I did and it really helps. You can't find a better bunch of guys to ask questions and get answers.

Rotorhead

Some interesting looking colors etc at X.otic Colours. Do you use their clear? Are you a large shop, using masks, power filtration, spray booths/rooms...?

Do you think these products could be used by a guy just doing a few items here and there?:popcorn:

And by the way, you have some mighty fine looking work on your website! Dang, what can I say very nice! I may not post anything any more. Nah, but I am sure impresed with what I saw.

Edited by 76gator
add comment

Bone: I start with about 2 ounces of plain white - the last I used was a highly pigmented "cover white" airbrush paint but any standard white is fine. Add 5-6 drops of brown, a few drops of gray and a couple of drops of yellow, mixing while you add each color. I don't use a formula since I use different brands and shades of paint to mix it. "Bone" means different things to different people. I like a fairly light bone with cream and gray undertones. If it's too white, add more brown. If it's too bright in tone, add a little gray. Add the yellow to make it more buttery in color.