BJBarron

What does a line of paint look like?

I just got a question. I just got my airbrush today. Gravity feed with a .002 tip double action. What does the line of paint supposed to look like? I figured it is not going to be as clean as a pincile line and not like a spray can. Can someone show me what its supposed to look like. I'm gitting a fine line with mist around it.

BJBARRON

Sound as if you are shooting a too high of pressure, which results in too much overspray

Or paint with pigment that's too large. Are you shooting water Based paints? 0.2 is an awful small nozzle if you are. If the pigment clogs the nozzle the spray pattern won't be as clean.

Edited by clamboni

Im using Createx waterbased. the nozzle looked clear and the needle is setting thight. Also sometimes i can pust thing trigger down for air and i get a small mist of color like it is blowing by.my presure is about 25lbs. Just new at this whole airbrush thing.:o

The closer you hold the tip of the spraygun to what you are painting, the finer and more detailed the line. :) As you pull the nozzle back from what your are painting the greater the width of the line and less detailed the line will appear:angry:. Too little air pressure and the gun won't work or clogs.:eek: Too much air pressure and you'll get too much paint and the nozzle may clog:cry:. Paint not thinned enough and the tip clogs:flame:. Over thinned paint and you'll get to much paint that runs everywhere:mad:. There's a happy medium that comes with a lot of practice:yay:. Until then:sauced:.

Low pressure, fine paint, tip held very close to the target = fine line. A steady hand and lots of practice also help. A .2mm tip can shoot a line as fine as frog's hair. My new .2mm Iwata had a test paper with a spiral starting hair thin and ending 1/2" wide - so I know it can be done .... just not by ME.

It's worthwhile to visit a few airbrushing sites and read their lessons on techniques.

At 25 psi it's going to be hard to get lines that thin, with the tip so close to the surface you're gonna blow paint all over the place. You're going to have to drop down as far as you can for super fine lines, I spray mine at like 6 or 7 psi. Brush might not be able to spray some createx colors that low though because of the fine needle. Some colors have finer pigments than others it seems.

Just remember that just because something says airbrush paint doesnt mean that you wont have to thin it a bit. properly thinned paint and the proper air pressure is needed. practise , practise and when you think you have it practice a little bit more. And I will give you some advise when you start to paint your baits for the first time spray your base colors down, clear and then try to spray small details. If you mess up, and you will at first ,you can wipe your bait clean and start over on the detail and not make a huge mess with the base coats.

lots of information all over the place.....We use strictly Iwata guns. We do everything at about 45 PSI hair lines, thick lines and everything inbetween. You have to be able to control your brush which means practice. We use Createx, Wildlife Colors, Golden Airbrush paints and Polytranspar which are all water based paints at the same PSI and never have to thin the paint. You do not have to lower your PSI for fine lines if your gun is working correctly. You have to control the amount of paint coming out of the gun.......and just a bit of fact, Iwata recommends PSI at 25 for artwork meaning paper or fiber board and 50 to 65 for T-shirts and automotive painting. Since we do most of our work on hard surfaces....45 to 65 PSI is the norm....at least for Iwata guns.

Rod

Edited by rjbass

Mr. BJBARRON; Sounds like great advice you are getting. I must be cheating since I make stencils to shoot through. Saves a lot agony. I shoot the backs and throats freehand for the most part.

What are you trying to achieve? Gills? stripes?

Stencils can be made from lots of cheap stuff, lots of ideas on site.

Regards, ken

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!! Im using createx. The sample pak of opac. colors. The brush is a star 3000. The white and yellow colors are kind of watery. I used the black and blue and green worked wonderful. Dont know what is up with the other two colors. I shock the crap out of them same thing. The other problem was paint sticking to the needle guard. so i took it off. Works great!! I still need a lot of practice.:worship: