bassin dave

cricket finish

Dave - I can see why you are asking, @ $41.75 ea, I would be trying to make some too. As Bob says, appears to be nothing more than a photo finish, a bit of pearl and probably a lot of B.S, the lip looks a bit dodgy too - there is a heap on 'Photo finishes' in the archives, start with "Lincoya's" original tute -

Still can not believe $41.75 ea, but someone must be buying them. pete

As mentioned photofinish. As far as the price good for him. He has a following and has put in his dues when it comes to making baits and serious anglers backing up his products. This isn't some newbie slinging chucking his attempts at making a crankbait. I see guys selling custom "junk" baits for hefty prices all the time on ebay an on their own personal sites with no history at all. Many of these are far inferior baits.

Making a custom quality product is worth the money to the tournament angler.

As mentioned photofinish. As far as the price good for him. He has a following and has put in his dues when it comes to making baits and serious anglers backing up his products. This isn't some newbie slinging chucking his attempts at making a crankbait. I see guys selling custom "junk" baits for hefty prices all the time on ebay an on their own personal sites with no history at all. Many of these are far inferior baits.

Making a custom quality product is worth the money to the tournament angler.

He definitely has a following and he does make some marvelous baits. While the price mentioned in the previous posts seems like a lot, it just means it is 1. it's new 2. in all likelyhood takes longer to make

If you check out his other baits you will realize he is already getting a pretty penny for his baits. However, you don't have such a loyal following and you don't get that price without a reason.

Brian is a local area guy and while I can't afford his baits I fish with guys who do pay the price. In fact he makes a prop bait :worship: that is pretty hot and I have watched fish hammer it while a popper or LC prop bait did not get touched (mine). While colors on any day make a difference so does action. So.... I guess this means I'll have to go to his web site and at least take a peak at them.

It's a free market. If Brian has customers paying $40 for his baits, more power to him 'cause he's doing something right as a businessman. I sometimes wonder how custom builders evaluate the amount of work they put into it versus the rewards they're reaping. I think most of them love working with their hands to produce something that's both beautiful and useful, and just maybe earning enough bucks to augment their day jobs.

Brian has done a good job of linking his crankbaits to some high profile fishermen in his area. They've been recommended by celeb bait slingers on TV fishing shows. His shop was also featured last year during ESPN coverage of a tournament on Lake Norman. That's the kind of thing that generates price increases!

I had never heard of this guy before this post, so I checked out his site. Very nice baits. The one thing that stood out to me though, was this part of his "cricket finish" description : " this copyrighted and patented finish ". which seems to be as previously stated, A "photo finish". Did anybody else notice this? :? Any thoughts? Anybody know a good lawyer, I might be needing one.....:eek:

Tackleunderground Home - Luremakers Photo Gallery - GOLDEN SHINER

Jay

Crankbait

Maybe there is more to it than just a photo finish. The baits certainly look amazing. But I have seen photo finishes Done by TU members looking pretty good too.

I'm not a patent expert by any means. But if it is just a photo finish, I would not have thought that a patent on the method would be possible, as surely, it has been around for years.

For the same reasons, how can you patent a picture of a fish? There must be more to it. The patent guys are not that dumb. Has anyone found the patent?

I have a feeling that he is using copyrighted images. Just like a wedding or school photographer can copyright the photos they take and also give the full copyrighted privileges to another person to use. I don't know for a fact but I bet the photos he used are copyrighted. It just makes it all sound nice and official.

I think they look about as good as the old Mann's photo lure that had the photo finish on them back in the 90's.

ps.jpgyelbg.jpg

I haven't searched for the patent, but if one exists, its probably the process he uses. Yall are right about the pics, you must be careful when using pictures from magazines and the web. Thing is, if your not marketing the bait or selling it, I don't see where it really matters, I know of a lot of "fishy' lawyers, but not one lawyer that "is" a fish.....lol... I've been searching for a "shrink film" to use for photo finish for a couple of years now, kinda like the berkley frenzy, with no avail. Maybe this has something to do with the so called "patented" process. Who knows..... Dave, I'll see if I can help you out a little....take care yall

Jay