borderbasser

a tip for measuring epoxy and a pic

I wanted to post a pic of how I measure epoxy. I have to give credit to someone else on another sight for this one. It is by far the easiest, quickest, cleanest, and most accurate way I have found. You just want to make sure and drill a undersized hole so that the syringe fits tight. All you have to do is obviously turn the bottle upside down and draw out what you need. When finished, just replace the syringe. There is no need to ever uncrew the cap once the hole is drilled...just re-insert the syringe...it becomes the cap. Now, one thing that is very important, don't use medical syringes. They will usually have silicone to lubricate the plunger. The syringes I use are from flexcoat and can be purchased for next to nothing from some of the rodbuilding vendors. You also want to make sure and don't mix and match you syringes for obvious reasons. They generally don't have to be cleaned and can be used for a long time without replacing. In fact, when you have emptied your bottles and you buy more, just replace the new caps with the old caps with the holes already drilled. I hope some of you might find this useful.

TJ

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/borderbasser/102_7808.jpg

TJ,

Those syringes are the bomb!

They're the hottest thing since sliced bread!

What a difference, mixing as much as I need exactly, and knowing the ratio is right. I mix it, coat, turn on the wheel, and come out the next morning knowing it will be right, instead of wondering if something went wrong. I don't even go out to check on it at night anymore.

How did I ever mix epoxy before? DUH!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :worship::worship::worship:

You bet guys...hope it helps.

TJ

That's a great idea!

What I use are dollar store plastic shot glasses. Cheap,disposable and easy to use. If I only need to mix a smaller amount than one entire shot glass I make a line on the side with marker and fill each component to the line before pouring them into a separate mixing cup. I also use dollar store plastic cups for the actual mixing.

I then pour my mixed epoxy onto a tray lined with wax paper so it can spread out and de-gass faster. I use dollar store disposable brushes to apply the epoxy. Gotta love those dollar stores! lol

Snax,

If I made enough lures to use a shot glass worth of epoxy, I'd probably need a shot afterward!

I only do a couple of lures at a time, sometimes just one repainted crank, or a swim bait repair, so this micro fine measuring system is perfect for me.

I use to give my Mother-in-law insulin shots, and so I draw the epoxy the same way, overfilling each syringe, and the pushing the excess back into the big bottle while it's still upside down, until I have the amount I want to mix left. Then I turn it all right side up, remove the syringe, and empty it into a small plastic mixing cup. I do each part this way. And this method, which allowed me to be sure there were no bubbles in the insulin, works for the epoxy, too.

Aside from a great method, I makes me think of a great lady who is no longer with us, each time I do it. A side benefit.

And, if I don't mix up enough, it's nothing to just pull a little more from each bottle, mix it up, and go on. I seldom have more than the amount it takes to coat the bottom of the cup left now, and, before, I would be scrambling to figure out something to coat with all the left over epoxy.

At this rate, my Nu Lustre 55 will last for years, unless I give in to my friends constant pressure, and make a whole lot more swimbaits for them. :nuhuh:

And the last thing is, I only have the brush to clean up. I was it with alcohol, and then MEK, and it's good to go for next time. Less time than cleaning an airbrush. :yes:

I do think it's a perfect method of mixing smaller amounts of epoxy Mark and I'll likely use the method myself when doing small touchups.

I also will think of a wonderful person when using the syringes... my younger brother Steven passed away a few years ago from Diabetes and he was also insulin dependent.

His passing is the reason I decided to pursue my dream of creating a name for myself in the fishing lure industry. We only live once and this is the life I want to lead, all struggles included.