gunnie3035

Photography/Camera Question

What type of camera do you guys use to take pictures of your baits? And what is the best set up to get a quality picture?

I've been toying with the idea of a digital camcorder so I could film some action shots of baits in the water OR should I go with a regular digital camera and use the video function?

I'm pretty ignorant when is comes to cameras and computers so give me some suggestions....

I bought a canon digital SLR last year and I love it, works just like a real SLR but with out film, I use it alot and take thousands of pics with it and never have to get film developed ;)

I was going to purchase the nikon but we didnt have them here when I was looking for them so I went with the canon 12megapixel one? I still don't know all the tricks to it and learning as I go ( or when my daughter plays with it.

The stock lens it came with does pretty good actually alot better than I thought it would, I still want to get a macro lens for better bait pics and a 400mm telephoto for hunting.

any digital camera will work the main thing is when you take pics of baits you need good light and a light tent is a must. they are easy to make, I posted links in the softpalstic bait section last year or th eyear before and I believe a few others did as well

I am looking for a vid camera and looking at the professional models but hard to justify 3k for a hunting/fishing video camera.

For just standard still photos of baits you don't have to go crazy with an expensive digital camera. They are priced decent now a days. I would get anything around or higher on the 4.0megapixel range but thats just me. If you get one with the video mode it would also do just fine but it really kills the batteries fast. If your looking for a broadway show then you might want to look further into a camcorder or a very nice camera with many options and a good video option that also comes with the added bible of instructions:lol: :twocents: Oh yeah usually to get a better video with a normal camera you would have to be pretty close to the bait and the zoom isn't as effective as a camcorder. At that point you don't want to drop your camera in the pool. Hope this helps a little bit.

Both the above replies are valid. If you go for a cheaper digital stills camera, it is vital that you make sure that it has the macro facility. Without it, the closest you'll get to your bait is 3 - 4 feet away. This will make a poor photograph. The macro is usually a flower symbol on the camera display.

My video camera is a fairly cheap enviro. It is digital with a built in hard drive. It can take 7 hours of vid (I think), about 2 hours on a single charge. BUT, the picture quality is not brilliant. For better quality, you have to pay a lot more.

For stills or video, you will need a tripod. Does not need to be very fancy, but will make life much easier. A cable release would be nice too, for the stills camera (not expensive).

Both the above replies are valid. If you go for a cheaper digital stills camera, it is vital that you make sure that it has the macro facility. Without it, the closest you'll get to your bait is 3 - 4 feet away. This will make a poor photograph. The macro is usually a flower symbol on the camera display.

My video camera is a fairly cheap enviro. It is digital with a built in hard drive. It can take 7 hours of vid (I think), about 2 hours on a single charge. BUT, the picture quality is not brilliant. For better quality, you have to pay a lot more.

For stills or video, you will need a tripod. Does not need to be very fancy, but will make life much easier. A cable release would be nice too, for the stills camera (not expensive).

My canon also came with a shoot from the pc deal. Basically i set the camera up on a tripod and use themouse key to click the button its pretty cool, my daughter showed me that, she also said you can adjust colors and speed along with a whole other pot of stuff and never have to move the camera. its the same USB cable that you upload pics in your pc from the camera too.

I needed a SLR for hunting and shooting the mold pics thats the only reason I bought mine.

one thing I forgot to mention is that getting stills of a cheap( under a grand) video camera is pretty rough as far as quality you just wont get the still pictures like you would even on a cheap 100 digital camera. I was told it was due to the 3 chips that the semi pro and pro cameras have that the cheaper ones don't have.

If you need some info on it mlet me know I can point you to guys who do this stuff for a living. I believe there is one on this forum as well, but I do have some friends here in phx that work with this stuff everyday.

As mentioned above the still photo quality on video cameras is very bad. This is definitely not the way to go. If you want to get a still camera and use the video function to shoot bait videos for the internet that is fine. Don't forget that most web videos (i.e. youtube) are compressed a lot anyway. So you are much better off shooting high quality stills and lower quality video.

I have a nikon d40 that I used to shoot these baits (but it does not shoot video):

spin-1.jpg

spin-2.jpg

spin-3.jpg

spin-4.jpg

jig-1.jpg

jig-2.jpg

jig-3.jpg

jig-4.jpg

jig-5.jpg

jig-6.jpg

jig-7.jpg

jig-8.jpg

Hi Gunnie

This type of question is always a hard one to answer and the advice given so far is about spot on. Its always a question of what do you want to do ?? I dont think you can succesfully shoot both stills and video with one piece of equipment yet and get first class results, some day soon maybe but not yet. The camera I use (Fuji S7000) I bought purely for its Macro facilities but even then it was not good enough for what I needed to do.

Digital cameras have come on in leaps and bounds and dropped in price so much now why not buy both ?? for what I paid for my Fuji 2 years ago you can now buy a half decent compact stills camera and a video camera and I'm sure if you look around ebay you could save even more hard earnt $$$.

The Nikons and Canon cameras will take super pictures but you will pay to do so but the picture taken by JD clearly demonstrates that a good photo can be had without breaking the bank (nice shot JD). The difference is when you want to produce enlargements and have a picture of a lure say 6 feet square then the high end cameras shine.

The picture below was taken with the Fuji S7000 without using it's macro facility, yes it can be done. If anyone wants to know I'll tell em :yay:.

philb-albums-north-country-spiders-picture3-waterhen-bloa.jpg

PS a tripod is a must have item.