bassin dave

shopvac

does anyone know if a shopvac will work to pull overspray and fumes from a spray booth modified so that a shopvac will fit to the back or will it build too much static and cause an expolsion?by the way, the paints i will be using in this setup are createx and auto-air which both are supposed to be non toxic.

Whatever you do, dont' use a shop vac for air extraction. Vacuum cleaners suck filtered air through and around the motor to cool it, and there are armature sparks flying everywhere. The day you decide to just give this lure a spray with some of that lacquer you have lying around, instead of using the water based acrylic, is the day you blow your workshop and probably, house up.

The motor needs to be sealed, so the arching armature will not ignite any solvents or sawdust in the air stream. Some of the best explosions you will ever see, are with sawdust, its as good as gun powder.

Evaporative air conditioner fans are sealed and also oil furnace fans, just suss out the local recyclers.

Somewhere on here there is a few plans and a video on how to make a booth, you will have to do a search, try "paint booth" for a start. I don't have one so can not supply pics. pete

shop vacs will create sparks. for wood sanding they clog and burn out. i used 3 before installing dust collecters. for painting dedicate a blower system. we use furnace blower with the squirrel cage. they work very well and you can find them cheap if you are handy with tools.

Remember air is just like water, it takes the least path of resistance. The only way a shop vac can pull enough air from a space is to confine the space you are extracting air from to the smallest possible area. There has to be make up air into the space as well as filteration. The fan in a shop vac as well as all fans are designed for static pressure,( resistenace of air moving thru the system). The more risistence you put on the system the bigger fan you will need. Also if you use any type of material that can burn you will need a totally enclosed fan cooled explosion proof motor. With the right air to product mixture most anything will :eek:explode. Take care when removing any type of air that has a paint spray mixture. Many types of glue wil explode if the air ratio is correct.

Rotorhead

does anyone know if a shopvac will work to pull overspray and fumes from a spray booth modified so that a shopvac will fit to the back or will it build too much static and cause an expolsion?by the way, the paints i will be using in this setup are createx and auto-air which both are supposed to be non toxic.

:eek:

Invest in a good dust collector! Too many possible problems with a shop vac.

good Luck!

http://topfishingplace.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature

:eek:

Invest in a good dust collector! Too many possible problems with a shop vac.

good Luck!

ipock2 is right.

I built my own dust collector from kitchen ventilator fans (they're explosion proof) and it works, but I wouldn't do it again.

Go with a store-bought dust collector, and you'll be glad you did.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature