Mallard

UV Cured Epoxy as top coat

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

I remember a product was advertised on this site a while back. Did anyone purchase from them and have their contact information?

I am looking for the epoxy, the curing light and information on setting up the work area (lighting, ventilation, etc)

Thanks!

I remember a product was advertised on this site a while back. Did anyone purchase from them and have their contact information?

I am looking for the epoxy, the curing light and information on setting up the work area (lighting, ventilation, etc)

Thanks!

I've researched UV curable epoxies before for a project at work, but that was years ago. All I really remember is that they weren't for typical paint applications. I'll check tonight or tomorrow in a tech source and get back. Maybe they've changed since then.

Hughesy - is this stuff something anyone could use or do you need NASA engineered lamps - OR will a good dose of sunlight do???

Maybe if you have the time, could you give us a brief run-down, pros and cons etc???? what do you use now, D2T, ETex or UV Cured???

This appears from time to time, but rarely any first hand info, and I would be interested in a trial, there's plenty of light here, even in winter. Pete

Hughesy - is this stuff something anyone could use or do you need NASA engineered lamps - OR will a good dose of sunlight do???

Maybe if you have the time, could you give us a brief run-down, pros and cons etc???? what do you use now, D2T, ETex or UV Cured???

This appears from time to time, but rarely any first hand info, and I would be interested in a trial, there's plenty of light here, even in winter. Pete

Yeah, what Pete said! Tell us more about this!

Thanks!

Alright, have a little feedback. I searched through a bunch of technical sources and it seems UV curable epoxies are not for paint/coating applications. Most often they are used in inkjet printer inks. That was an interesting read. I never knew what that blue light was on my HP printer head. Apparently, that's a UV light and cures the ink instantly after it's applied. :huh: The only other application I could find for it was fiber optic threads. According to the data, it's terrible with UV resistance and will yellow. Since it's not for coating applications, there was no data on properties like impact or abrasion resistance, etc.

One thing I did find was a ton of warnings about the lights for UV curing. They're of a specific wavelength that can cause skin cancer, and all warn against skin exposure to the light and recommend eye and skin protection if you work with them.

DT - I was hoping this stuff would have a place in finish coating lures and rods, I could dip them and take them down to the local solarium, sub let some space in one of those pods with a paying customer (preferably female), checking them at 30 second intervals of course. ****. Oh well back to the D2T, etc. pete

DT - I was hoping this stuff would have a place in finish coating lures and rods, I could dip them and take them down to the local solarium, sub let some space in one of those pods with a paying customer (preferably female), checking them at 30 second intervals of course. ****. Oh well back to the D2T, etc. pete

May be worth a few prototype runs at least. B)

If you go to the site I listed above, you will see that they do make epoxy coating for fishing lures and fishing rods. Ours is set up to where we have a tray of epoxy that the lure is dipped in and then it is hung up on a conveyor hook system that runs the lure in front of the light and rotates the lure to give it complete exposure to the light. It dries in about 5 seconds. The light is very hot I think about 1600 degrees at the bulb. The lure passes in front of the light about 6 inches away and is only there for 5 -7 seconds. It does have a reaction to lacquer but they make a water base clear that you spray on before you dip to counter act the reaction. If you are just doing a couple of lures, you can dip them with long hemos and just hand rotate them in front of the light. You must where long sleeve shirt, gloves, and a face shield. The unit also has to bee vented outside and we also installed a small fan to help remove the heat. It does make a nice clear coat but it is thinner than etex or 2ton. I did notice some yellowing but all epoxies yellow. I have a luckycraft catalog showing them using uv cured resins for their clear coat. Since I am designing lures for Bass Pro now, we are not doing any production work so I just went back to my original clear that a chemist buddy of mine that works a 3m whips up for me. I know that this company has sold clear coat to Mann's Bait co.

I'm pretty sure LuckyCraft uses a UV curable urethane. I've been pondering formulating one and marketing it to my fellow custom painters. The technology is real slick. Almost zero yellowing, durable as hell, and as you noted, UV curables are quick to coat and cure. Great for high volume!

Were you able to get enough clear on the baits in a single coat, or did it take multiple coats with the UV epoxy?

LaPala,

The guy on the video on the website says the Core material doesn't yellow.

It seems expensive for the amounts I would use for a lure.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be difficult to get a smooth coating over a large area.

Coating a fly is a little different since the area you're coating is so small, and there is a matrix, the fibers of the fly, to hold the material in place while you shape it.

It looks like the system is perfect for the kind of flies he is tying.

Mark, I do tend to give a bit more credit to end user opinions than a guy on a website selling the stuff.

As a general rule, I also take word of mouth over ads. However, this guy has gone on "national" T.V. with his claims, so, if it does yellow, he'll either have to replace the product, refund the money, or be out of business pretty quickly.

Mark, I do tend to give a bit more credit to end user opinions than a guy on a website selling the stuff.

LaPala- media endorsements, one of my pet hates, I miss all those adds on U.S television, laugh, it's an industry there - unfortunately it's happening here too, I think, SOMETIMES it's a sign of our insecurity.pete