rk3487

Clear Coat clouding when submerged

I have been making some spoons. All was looking ok until starting using them. I have used Polycrylic and Spar Urethane and they are clouding up after being in the water for an extended time. When tacken out after time goes away. Anybody have an ideas what is causing this. Most of the time if sumerged at least an hour will start clouding.

thanks

Rod

Rod - hard to know as I have never used either, but I would suggest the coating is not completely waterproof, OR a small hole where the hangers and lure meet, allowing water to enter, OR you may have trapped some moisture under the coating, say if you top coated it when there was high humidity or your paint was not properly dry. Maybe when it is immersed in water, the small amount of moisture under the coating condenses and clouds up the colours underneath (between the topcoat and paint), appearing to cloud the topcoat.

Whatever it is, it's water - spraying/dipping in lacquers when the humidity is high will cause this, it's called 'Bloom', and usually can be cured (in lacquers) with another good coat (on a low humidity day), this will activate the coat underneath and allow the moisture to 'gass off', so maybe google it for more info or search for 'bloom' on the manufacturers site.

I think 'KCdeno' (Dan) is a bit of a guru on this and lacquers, so maybe send him a PM. pete

Sorry Bruce, posted in wrong THREAD, should be in 'clear coat question for the engineers out there...'

Heres some 'Quotes', sounds ideal! ! !

FISHING LURES

EPOXY COATINGS CO. formulated a clear, high gloss dip or spray coating for fishing lures that increases their beauty and life. Dipping is normally used because it is quick and easy and eliminates waste from over spray. After dipping and a few seconds delay to drain the coating is cured in a few seconds to greatly increase production rate.

This formulation is designed for 100% adhesion to all surfaces including metal foil. It has outstanding resistance to repeated abuse from striking the surface of the water.

We have UV curing equipment at low cost.

1. INCREASED PRODUCTION

The coated rods can go into the UV curing oven immediately after coating. The UV Coatings are cured in 5 seconds or less.

2. SINGLE COMPONENT

UV Coatings are single component materials. No mixing of two or more components is required.

3. STANDARD APPLICATION

UV Blank Coatings are applied by squeegee in the same manner as other types of coatings. No change in application procedures is required.

4. ONE COAT APPLICATION

Only one coat of UV Blank Coatings is required to give a high build, rich looking finish because there is no evaporation. WHAT GOES ON, STAYS ON.

5. HIGH GLOSS

UV Blank Coatings give a high gloss and durable finish.

6. ZERO EMISSION-NON-POLLUTING

UV Blank Coatings contain no organic solvents so the volatile emission is zero.

7. INDEFINITE SHELF LIFE

The shelf life of UV Blank Coatings is indefinite when the containers are kept closed and not exposed to fluorescent or UV light from windows or other sources.

Edited by hazmail

I have been making some spoons. All was looking ok until starting using them. I have used Polycrylic and Spar Urethane and they are clouding up after being in the water for an extended time. When tacken out after time goes away. Anybody have an ideas what is causing this. Most of the time if sumerged at least an hour will start clouding.

thanks

Rod

The clear you are using doesn't have good water resistance. Try a different one.

thanks

Rod

I have tried Polycrylic as it was recommended to me from another lure maker that I respect alot. It's okay for "looking at lures" but for fishing it's not that good. Will turn cloudy and clear up later. I have gone back to epoxy finish (not the epoxy glue).

ipock2

http://topfishingplace.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature