Downriver Tackle

What would you want in a clearcoat?

I think what is required, is a purpose built box, specifically for lures. Hanging a lure in front of an open lamp is not a good solution, purely from a safety point of view. But also from the point of using the light efficiently. A purpose built, small box, will greatly reduce the power requirements of the UV tube.

I picture a box with the light mounted in the base, with an acrylic sheet to protect from drips. The lid has a micro switch, preventing the light being operated with the lid open. The box is lined with mirrors or some other reflective material, so the light reaches all parts of the lure. The bait would be held in a removable frame, with a built in turner. The box really only need mount one lure, but could be designed for three lures and two light tubes.

I

What I would want is something that I can dip the lures into and hang them to dry. I get sick of having to mix epoxy, it is time consuming and a mess. The clear also needs be very safe, dry water clear, rock hard, low odor, and not too thin. I would prefer it go on about as thick as etex and dry in about 2 hours. Price would of course have to be competitive.

RM

I agree with everything Jed is looking for in an epoxy. I'd like to add that I'd like to not need to rotate the lures once dipped. Maybe this is too much to ask but it sure would be nice just to dip and hang to dry.

No fuss,no muss.

I agree with everything Jed is looking for in an epoxy. I'd like to add that I'd like to not need to rotate the lures once dipped. Maybe this is too much to ask but it sure would be nice just to dip and hang to dry.

No fuss,no muss.

Unfortunately, that's probably a hurdle conventional epoxy will never overcome, unless you apply it in multiple layers, cut back in a fast solvent. There's no practical way to get a 1 or 2 coat epoxy to flow and level, release air bubbles, and also not need to be turned.

I HAVE A DUMB QUESTIONS!!! But was EPOXY DESIGNED TO BE A CLEAR COAT!!! Or was it DESIGNED TO BE A GLUE?

Seems to me like its marketed on the package to be a GLUE not a Clear coat!

My perfect clear coat....would be...

The customer is happy with his purchase and buys more lures after the old ones wear out!

That is the perfect clear coat... Good enough to last for customer satisfaction.. but not so good that they never need new lures!!! Lucky Craft has made millions off this very concept!!! This is the million dollar question all of us are going to keep asking? What is the best clear coat out their for my baits!!!...GUESS WHAT GUYS!! WATER BREAKS DOWN ANYTHING OVER TIME!!! THATS THE FACT JACK!!! If you want your baits to LAST FOREVER!!! DONT FISH THEM!!!! :yay:

I HAVE A DUMB QUESTIONS!!! But was EPOXY DESIGNED TO BE A CLEAR COAT!!! Or was it DESIGNED TO BE A GLUE?

The customer is happy with his purchase and buys more lures after the old ones wear out!

That is the perfect clear coat... Good enough to last for customer satisfaction.. but not so good that they never need new lures!!! Lucky Craft has made millions off this very concept!!! This is the million dollar question all of us are going to keep asking? What is the best clear coat out their for my baits!!!...GUESS WHAT GUYS!! WATER BREAKS DOWN ANYTHING OVER TIME!!! THATS THE FACT JACK!!! If you want your baits to LAST FOREVER!!! DONT FISH THEM!!!! :yay:

Ah, so deska! :lolhuh::lolhuh::lolhuh:

BOTH. LOL I don't know which came first, but they are two totally different animals based on the same chemistry. When glues are formulated, the main properties are adhesion, cure time, and strength. When it comes to paint epoxies, it those, plus chemical resistance in the earlier formulations. Mainly used for chemical tanks, as a primer, or interior floor coatings. Over the years formulators realized that nothing can really match epoxy for strength and abrasion/mar resistance, but the problem was that it yellowed like mad, so it was limited to interior applications only. Within the last few years, great advances have been made to it's UV resistance. Newer epoxy resins and hardeners have been able to pretty much match the UV resistance of urethane, but still short of acrylics natural UV resistance.

Not everything is broken down by water. A fully reacted polymer like epoxy or 2-part urethanes are virtually 100% water resistant. Even some of the harder acrylic grades. You could leave them in water till the end of time and they would be fine. Most of the time, it's what's under the coating that gives out. There will always be microsopic holes in a coating, and over time water migrates through and just sits on whatsever under the coating. If it's metal, it rusts and lifts everything on top of it. If it's a paint that isn't so water resistant underneath, that fails and lifts the topcoat. I've even seen glass-filled plastics bleed water from the unpainted side, through the plastic, and lift the paint on the other side. Paint and coatings are probably one of the least cut-n-dry sciences out there.