Bad Bouy

Divided cup bubble problem

So I finally found some free time and made a divided pouring cup. The pours some of you guys are making with them are impressive to say the least. :worship: Anyways, I noticed that on a majority of my stik pours, the center of the bait is hollow...:eek: I am mixing 4oz of calhouns plastic with 1/2 tbs salt and the color mixes.... Using a Wally world nuke box @ full steam for 1 minute, stir and a 15 second zap after that. The baits look good but just seem to more often than not have that "air chamber" in the center of the bait, its wierd and I cant figure it out. :pissed:

Any of you divided cup pour'ers run into anything like this?:?

Thanks for any insights....

So I finally found some free time and made a divided pouring cup. The pours some of you guys are making with them are impressive to say the least. :worship: Anyways, I noticed that on a majority of my stik pours, the center of the bait is hollow...:eek: I am mixing 4oz of calhouns plastic with 1/2 tbs salt and the color mixes.... Using a Wally world nuke box @ full steam for 1 minute, stir and a 15 second zap after that. The baits look good but just seem to more often than not have that "air chamber" in the center of the bait, its wierd and I cant figure it out. :pissed:

Any of you divided cup pour'ers run into anything like this?:?

Thanks for any insights....

A buble like that is usually cause you have covered the hole when pouring. this doesnt allow the air to escape and also makes it so you can't pour anymore plastic. I assume you are keeping the top of the mold filled, as the plastic shrinks it is sucked down into the mold causeing a bubble as well

Delw, what you doin up so late, never mind that, what am I doin up so late... :eek:

I can pour the stiks no problem with a single color (Love the mold by the way ) only when I use my double cup does it do this... I keep the mold topped off and such seems like every third or fourth one comes out right... I dunno, I'll keep trying and post what I find . . . perhaps a picture of a broken pyrex cup :teef:

Bad Bouy, that second bit of information that you have no problems pouring singles I think indicated the answer. I think what is likely happening is the position of you're divider relative to the lip/contact point of the two plastic colors. Speed of pouring could also be a factor combined with this feature if the bubble problem is consistent. I have included a crude drawing about what I think is happening. I think the plastic is coming in contact away from the divider and incorporating air bubbles since they are getting trapped. If you slow down the pour and/or nip back the divider so that the plastic merges before pouring I think the bubble problems will likely disappear. The problem would also be worse if the plastic is too cold because of the decreased viscosity of the plastic.

plasticpouring.jpg

i had the same problem and he is right--- i trimmed the divider down a little so the colors came together just before leaving the pour spout and never got a hollow bait from there on.

Bad Bouy, that second bit of information that you have no problems pouring singles I think indicated the answer. I think what is likely happening is the position of you're divider relative to the lip/contact point of the two plastic colors. Speed of pouring could also be a factor combined with this feature if the bubble problem is consistent. I have included a crude drawing about what I think is happening. I think the plastic is coming in contact away from the divider and incorporating air bubbles since they are getting trapped. If you slow down the pour and/or nip back the divider so that the plastic merges before pouring I think the bubble problems will likely disappear. The problem would also be worse if the plastic is too cold because of the decreased viscosity of the plastic.

plasticpouring.jpg

Well i trimmed the divider back and low and behold... no more air chamber problem... or should i say, all but one came out perfect. I poured a little bit hotter and quicker than usual as well....

One other thing i noticed was that the divider cup takes about twice as long to heat up, seems the aluminum really sucks the heat out of the mixture...

Anyways, all is well in double color land...

Thanks for the help guys... :yay:

Well i trimmed the divider back and low and behold... no more air chamber problem... or should i say, all but one came out perfect. I poured a little bit hotter and quicker than usual as well....

One other thing i noticed was that the divider cup takes about twice as long to heat up, seems the aluminum really sucks the heat out of the mixture...

Anyways, all is well in double color land...

Thanks for the help guys... :yay:

Um, don't stick that divider cup in the microwave, cook your plastic in other cups then pour it in the divider cup.

No troubles with the divided cup in the microwave as of yet... Thought the concensus was that it was alright to do that.. :huh:

I have tried it both ways, heating in other cups then transfering into divider cup and just straight using the divider cup.. but seems you still need to occasionally heat the stuff between pours ... ?