Snax

Swimbait joints revisited (Again!) lol

I dimple (aka countersink) the holes for the screw eyes a little so I can position the segments together as close as I like. Hand wound screw eyes have lots of glue surface and can be any length you desire. I install the screw eyes in one segment after painting, purposely getting epoxy on the eyes so they remain stiff, then clearcoat the bait. Last step, clean out the eyes and join the segments. Use a Dremel with a small drill bit to remove any epoxy from the joint after curing.

As it turns out, swimbaits swim easier if the faces of the joint sections are either not angled or if the faces are concaved to catch more water.

I've been needlessly cutting angles on the face of my swimbait sections all this time!

Thanks to Mark Poulson for doing some tests on this. Now if you want high speed action perhaps the angled sections might make for less drag on the retrieve and make things easier on the angler.