LBH

Thompson's water seal

10 posts in this topic

never tried it. But i do use sanding sealer and it works well. I think alot of guys use it. give it a try and see how you like it.:yay:

MuskyMachine

Anyone use something like this to seal woods? I did a search, found nothing.

Pros/cons please

Never tried it, but I can almost guarantee you will never get anything to stick on top of it with all the water repellants in it.

I am basically resting "shapes" and many of them hit the water w/o paint.

For this application, it seems to be a decent, low cost fit.

Thanks for the replies guys!

and.........HI WHITTLER!!!! Long time no see bud, hope all is well.

hello there I have been making lures for a long time now and have several friends that do nothing but make lures. your best bet is a water based clear coat.I used it for 3 years now and never seen a problem..janscraft has it for 9.99 a bottle it dries super thin and fills all the cracks after two coats. it is as durable as epoxy with no weight..and the balsa wood soakes it up very well. csi. componient system inc.:yes:

LBH,

Thompson's water seal is a great sealer if you do not plan to top coat your lures. I am prototyping many swimbaits now. It is quick and easy and I have a bunch of it around from my planar board project!

Thanks,

slingToad

:boo::nono::boo:Take the time to finnish you prototypes with as many coats of paint and topcoat as your finished lures will have. all these items add bulk and weight to your lures and this will effect their action.

Do yourself a favor and save the water seal for your deck.:yes:

Like Cheesehead said. I've been caught out with this one. Hooks and eyes need to be fitted to proto's also. Sorry for the diversion, but this is important.