RickJames

Createx paint toxic?

7 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is a dumb question.:? I plan on airbrushing in my basement. Is createx paint flamable and toxic? Ive read posts about guys building booths for this reason. I wasnt sure what they were spraying though. Thanks, Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Createx is water based acrylic latex airbrush paint. It's toxicity is low, especially compared to solvent based lacquers. That said, an airbrush atomizes paint very efficiently and some of the spray ends up as acrylic dust including the flow enhancers and anthing else that Createx throws in there. Using a paint booth minimizes the dust suspended in a closed room. Using a particle mask minimizes the amount of ambient dust you breathe. A majority of us probably spray acrylics with no booth and no mask, without noticable ill effect. That doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. If your basement is connected to the rest of the house via a heating/cooling return and you plan to do much airbrushing, it would be ideal to use a booth with some kind of dust filtration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sorry if this is a dumb question.:? I plan on airbrushing in my basement. Is createx paint flamable and toxic? Ive read posts about guys building booths for this reason. I wasnt sure what they were spraying though. Thanks, Rick

Regular Createx is non-toxic. Autoair isn't. The big hazard with both is the dust because of the fumed silica they use as a thickener. It's basically a barb of glass that looks like the barb on a fishing hook. You breathe it in, the barb digs into your lung tissue, and most of it is there for life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for the reply. Sounds Like Ill be using a mask. Also I"ll probably spray infront of a box fan with some filters on it to help collect the dust. thanks again,:yay: Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silca dust is not something to mess around with. The dust particles attach to you lungs similiar to asbestos causing your lungs to fill up with pockets if water. Eventually you drown in you own fluids. yummy, I would suggest using a booth or respirator, a dust mask will only give you a false since of security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non toxic doesn't mean non hazardous. The fumes won't hurt you, and if you're using it once in a while it's not bad for you. Non-toxic just means it won't POISON you. But I don't care what it is, you don't want paint particles like an airbrush will make in your lungs. Over time, it can stay there and cause all kinds of problems. Won't cause your lungs to fill with water. That's caused by a weak heart or high blood pressure in your lungs.

But it WILL cause some of the same effects that smoking will. It'll interfere with your lungs' ability to transfer gases to and from your bloodstream (Oxygen and carbon dioxide). You don't want that.....A simple spray booth can be made with a box fan, a furnace filter, and some cardboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now