ALC609

Ballast Weight

pm vanndalizer he has a couple different sizes or u could do what I do and find a weight with a hole pre made through it (like a weight used for texas rigging) about the size u want and screw a eye screw through it. After I screw it though the hole I take my pliers and crimp it just enogh to ge riggs were the expoy has something to hold on to. Haven't had any problems with it. Lust they a readly available. by the way a 1/10 worm weight works best for me (a little over 3 grams I think). For my 3" flat sides.

ALC609,

I have no idea how much experience you have in building crankbaits but I will just give you something to think about when adding ballast to a crankbait.

You will find many wood or balsa crankbaits with the ballast located on the center eyelet. This is usually a very easy placement to get a bait design to run straight with few errors.

Try adding ballast to different areas of the body and you will find that a bait that looks the exact same will have a completely different action. This might be a tighter wiggle, better casting ability or more or less of many actions (wobble, Wiggle, Xing or any of the other types discussed in the threads). The best ballast I have found for easy installation is lead wire in 3/16 and 1/4 inch sizes or pieces of lead sheet if you are making a 2 piece, wire through bait.