mark berrisford

painting thick stripes?

Hello everyone I've just been painting one of my gliders in yellow bandit(yellow with thick black stripes)which to be honest turned in to a right pain,i ended up stencilling the sides then filling in over the back and round the belly,is there an easier way?

The baits are flat sided gliders so masking all the way round is dificult or it has been for me at least

I thought of using low tack frisket but I felt it was too expensive. I make my masks by folding a small piece of aluminum foil 2-3 times then taping the edge with masking tape. I can trim the tape to any shape and vary the paint effects by holding the mask at various distances from the work. I can also bend the foil/tape to conform to the lure body and it is fairly stiff yet bendable.

Hello everyone I've just been painting one of my gliders in yellow bandit(yellow with thick black stripes)which to be honest turned in to a right pain,i ended up stencilling the sides then filling in over the back and round the belly,is there an easier way?

The baits are flat sided gliders so masking all the way round is dificult or it has been for me at least

Blue masking tape???? In extreme cases, like a wrap around, I use 1/8" to do the edges nice and clean and straight, then just cut strips of wider tape to fill in the rest. Lay the lighter color down as a base coat, then tape and paint those areas with the darker color. Prime to block out the base color, if necessary.

I used to use the tinfoil for firetiger patterns that went round the back of the bait but it wouldn't give the sharp lines i was after with this pattern.

I know the masking tape would work great but i was hoping for a dodge that would make it less time consuming,thankfully it's a pattern that i don't do often.

Thank's for the replies:yay: