Nathan

Don't mix Krylon paints..

Hey guys,

If you use Krylon paint as a base coat,or rattle can you whole bait,becareful.I ran into a little problem with their old paint and new.I was base coating a bunch of baits with there white and was finishing up with some cans I'd had for a while..(flat top cans)and had purchased some of there new stuff with the rounded lids and adjustable nozzle.I figired it was all the same stuff..WRONG!!..They changed the formula of the paint..The old DOESN'T mix with the new!!!! It appears they've added Acetone too the new stuff and it will wrinkle the old stuff in a matter of seconds!!..Just a heads up..Nathan

You also need to keep an eye on or test if you are going to use flat then gloss. That is when I seen this the most. When I started making lures I used rattle cans for all my painting. I still have one lure pattern that I use the rattle cans for. For some reason it changes the color on the scale pattern and I just can

Nathan, are you using a Krylon primer as your basecoat? I paint with spraycans (mostly Krylon) exclusively and have never had this problem, except when painting a flat color over a gloss, which gives you a really cool crackle effect.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb12/iceburgh13/IM000484.jpg

Edited by redg8r
oversized image

I too use Krylon and also some Rustoleum metal flake colors.I have had this to happen when mixing old cans with old cans.I have painted some and everything worked great and the next ones,same day same everything would krinkle up.I have trouble painting eyes with the drillbit technique,the black almost always krinkles up.I am not a big fan of the new can spray tips,it sprays too big of a pattern,its hard to do some small stencils....Rob

You might be able to get away with mixing the layers if you FULLY cure the old type first, preferably with heat, then continue with the new formula and just don't hose it on. Still a maybe though.

Downriver, if you are going to use heat to set the paint from cans. Be very careful too much heat will blister the paint!!

Another learn from my mistakes, so you don

Ok dumb question but something i have been wondering for awhile now....

Can i use a rattle can to prime my baits then go and paint them with a water based paint like Createx(i actually use apple barrel from walmart)? I am pretty sure the oil based rattle can paint will not work with a water based paint but just thought i would ask as it would save some time! :o

Can i use a rattle can to prime my baits then go and paint them with a water based paint like Createx(i actually use apple barrel from walmart)? I am pretty sure the oil based rattle can paint will not work with a water based paint but just thought i would ask as it would save some time! :o

Sure you can. Just make sure every layer is cured before you mix paints. My old system was a solvent-based primer, Createx colors, then a automotive clear.

I did it this exact way for years also. If I could add or give you my true out come, or should I say if I could do it all over