snookin4

DIY fluid bed?

I built a 2" version of the fluid bed based on the Cadman tutorial and found it works great for the small jig heads I use for trout, crappie and panfish.

I tried paper sack and vacuum cleaner bag material for the powder cup membrane with fair results. However, I just descovered a membrane material that works great, easy to use, durable, and, best of all its free. Stop by your postoffice and pickup one of the tear proof (Tyvak) "Priority Mail" envelopes. You will like the results!

I built a 2" version of the fluid bed based on the Cadman tutorial and found it works great for the small jig heads I use for trout, crappie and panfish.

I tried paper sack and vacuum cleaner bag material for the powder cup membrane with fair results. However, I just descovered a membrane material that works great, easy to use, durable, and, best of all its free. Stop by your postoffice and pickup one of the tear proof (Tyvak) "Priority Mail" envelopes. You will like the results!

Cadman can I get some of your instruction also. Thanks

My email is Scottig5alive@yahoo.com Thanks a lot.

Scott

Anyone have the PVC for the cup, and the union or coupler for a 2" version (2" preferably, but 3" will work if anyone has that) that they would send me? I've got everything else from when I used to run breeding tanks, no local hardware stores anywhere around me. I'll pay you of course.

cheers bud!

Built a 2" version off of Cadmans instructions (by the way, thanks for the speedy response!! Hope to see you in July when I am home visiting). Tried several pass through materials, coffee filter, paper bag, etc. Couldn't get the volcanoing to go away. Took it down to one output on my air pump and found that attaching the pump to the cup helped. The vibration allowed the powder to "settle" and bubble like a fluid instead of volcanoing. Anyone else find results like that? Also, not getting a thin enough coat and the eyes are still plugging up? Is this because I am using mustad aberdeens and the eyes are slightly smaller? I will keep playing with it when I have time....

Other than that works great. Think I am going to make a stab at the 3" and see if I get better results!

Steve

I saw the other past on this but, does anyone have plans/instructions to make their own Fluid bed for powder paint? I haven't seen one up close, but they just look like a chamber to allow air through the bottom of the paint. Seems like you could just rig up an air chamber and create your own size one. I was thinking that a coffee filter may even work as the membrane for air to pass through.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

I don't know if I sent you the fluid bed instructions. If not PM me your e-mail and I'll get it out to you. Yes coffee filter will work on some powders.

Just wanted to give a Big Thanks to cadman for the build specs on the fluid bed. I built one today and it turned out great. I'm new to this, but what would be the ideal air flow amount? I've been adjusting on the needle valve and had some little "volcanos" which was throwing out paint dust. I turned it down to where they settled down, but wasn't sure of the appropriate range.

I'm using a brown paper bag for my screen.