bassrecord

Butterfly Wing Material

If you want something solid to cut a shape out of use plastic of some type. Depending on how large this shape is, all of those extra dividers from Plano tackle boxes might work.

If you want to form just an outline and or to fill in the outline with designs, Craft stores sell wire of varying gauges just for things like this and probably have a gauge that would work for you. You could also try using SS leader wire, or welding wire or copper wire.

Or cast the design in plastics / resins.

If you want something solid to cut a shape out of use plastic of some type. Depending on how large this shape is, all of those extra dividers from Plano tackle boxes might work.

Or cast the design in plastics / resins.

I'm not thinking solid wings or casting at this time.

If you want to form just an outline and or to fill in the outline with designs, Craft stores sell wire of varying gauges just for things like this and probably have a gauge that would work for you. You could also try using SS leader wire, or welding wire or copper wire.

I have some lightweight aluminum wire and an idea to make the wings fold during casting but I still need a material to make wings from.

Thanks for the ideas.

John

Most craft stores sell a ribbon that is a very fine mesh with thin wire running along each edge. It can be molded into many shapes and will take paint.

Thanks for the wire ribbon lead! I'll check it out. This is something like what I was hoping to find. Will the ribbon hold up on water and during casting? Testing will tell.

I was hoping to find some kind of material that sheds water and/or floats, is flexible and will collapse during casting so wind resistance would not be a problem, and will repeatedly extend into butterfly wings without tearing up.

John

Years ago I made a dragonfly lure with two floating worms.

I took the lighter colored one and split it down the middle lengthwise.

Then I crossed the two halves in an X and glued them to the top of the second worm.

I used a 1/0 offset worm hook and rigged it texposed.

It cast horribly, so I used a spinning rod to throw it.

But it was deadly in the summer in front of tules.

I stopped using it because it was just too hard to cast. Like trying to cast a sail.