slingToad

swimbait joint pin thickness

I guess my real question is, are there any benefits to using a thicker hinge pin vs. a thinner one? As long as the smallest one is strong enough? I have used anywhere from 5/32 to 1/16 " in my prototypes. (Whatever I could find at the time.)

I am using two eye screws and passing the pin through those eye screws for the hinge.

For some reason I could not edit my previous post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

slingToad

The main advantage with using a larger wire is that it's easier to keep a larger bit from wandering when you're drilling wood.

I've used sst spinnerbait wire, sst welding rod, and sst bicycle spokes, and they all work.

As soon as I can find the Q tips with the hollow plastic handles, I'm going to try them as sleeves for the pins. The larger hole for the sleeve should make drilling even easier.

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Wandering is a problem with the small diameter bits. I have been drilling with a hand drill from both sides of the bait. I am planning on trying some Aircraft Drill Bits to see if they are a little stronger when using the drill press. Longer shank and less flute. You could even cut them to size.

slingToad

PS. Kids, guard those SS bike spokes!

Mark,

Shoot me a PM with your address. I've got a couple hundred of the hollow plastic q-tip shafts lying around here. I cut off the tips to use as hook guards when I ship baits. I use them for stir sticks when mixing small amounts of paint and epoxy, but have far more than what I'll use. Would be happy to send you some for free so you can see if they work for what your trying or not.

Mark,

I just used that theory for the first time myself. I used Q-Tip shafts to guide, and protect cable going throw some jointed wood parts. Just epoxy glued them in, a few minutes ago. Trying a new hinge system I have been sleeping on for a while. I will take a few pic's, and post them in a bit. The drill size 3/32 did help the wondering problem, and may work quit well with your pin situation.

Bill

QTip1.jpg

Qtip3.jpg

Castmaster,

Thanks. Address sent in a PM. :worship:

Bill,

That looks interesting. Let us know how it works out.

I have a couple of coils of sst control line airplane cables, left over from my second son. We used to build and fly model airplanes. I'd played around in my head with the idea of using the cable for a hinge system, but never got farther than that. :?