Munkin

Looking for a jig hook?

I am looking for a 28 or 30 degree O'Shaughnessy jig hook that has a diameter of about .050? The ones I have now are poured into a do-it poison tail jighead. I bought these off ebay to make some swimming jigs and they work great. They are not the Mustad 32886 or the thinner 327**? hooks as they are round bend. Not sure who makes them but they are black nickel. Does anyone know where to get these or the 28degree Gamakatsu swim jig hooks?

Allen

Barlows is carrying a 28 degree lighter wire mustad hook, its on there website under heavy hooks 30 degree, its considerably lighter than the regular one used to pour Poison tails (I believe thats the 32886) I believe this one is the 32744, I could be wrong and am to tired to look right now. I have use it for swim jigs and it works good

I saw discontinued Mustads like you describe on eBay and offered on forums - mostly 1/0 size - but at the time 28* was a new concept with limited demand. Somebody must still have some. Does the name "Predator Baits" ring a bell?

Just got some nice VMC 60* 1/0 discos on eBay from "Conquistador Tackle". Discos(discontinued & discounted) are generally a once in a lifetime opportunity, but one must be cautious about defective batches.

Past Spring Gamakatsu USA mentioned their 28* was being developed, so if they're ready probably too new to be posted by dealers. Mfg. reps should have info, or Shorty's can get em if available. If you're referring to the particular hooks in the excellent Brovarney swim jigs those are custom mfg. by Gami and not available from either.

Edited by hawnjigs

Barlows Tackle Shop: Browsing Mustad 32724 BLN

There you go Munkin, thats the one I have been using, I normally use Captain hooks but he doesn't seem to carry these

These are what I will most likely use? I have some I bought from Barlows that say 4/0 but they are more like 2/0? Now the 4/0 32886 hooks are like 5/0 or 6/0 and will not fit in the mold. I really need to take some pics of that hook and see if I can research my ebay history?

Allen

Thanks for the help guys!:)

The ebay picture may be somewhat deceiving. I think that the hook depicted may be an "EWG" variety from Mustad, specifically the 91768BLN. If this is the case and you need a 5/0 hook I have found the 28 degree hook manufactured by Hookerz to be both superior in quality and much better value.

I am taking it that you thought these hooks were to thick? I believe these hooks are the 32886, the ones in the barlows link are imho much better for a swimjig hook (32724) I can't stand a thick hook in a swimjig, most people who use an actual swimjig would agree with that.

I am taking it that you thought these hooks were to thick? I believe these hooks are the 32886, the ones in the barlows link are imho much better for a swimjig hook (32724) I can't stand a thick hook in a swimjig, most people who use an actual swimjig would agree with that.

These are a different hook. I agree with you on the 32886 it is a flippin hook not a swimjig hook. What size 32724 hooks do you use? I have some 4/0 ones that seem like they are about 2 sizes too small? Most of the jigs sold as swimjigs are just flippin jigs with white skirts.

Allen

These look like a different hook, thin or regular wire like the 32724 but it looks like there sproat bend? 32724 is round bend, probably would work just the same, I really don't know what makes the 2 bends different. These hooks that Hawn are showing might even be thinner wire than the 32724 which in the case of the swim jig would be a good thing