BJ Smith

Does anyone do.... or know how to do the old "G Finish"??

The kind that used to be available on Bombers and Cotton Cordell cranks...... back in the '80's..........

Before you ask..... I did a search and went through 500 posts about finishes (overdosed on epoxy)....... but the search tool didn't recognize "G"

I do not know of anyone who does this or even knows how to do it..

Any assistance is appreciated..........:)

Thanks,

BJ

Woody,

I have painted over several G Fisnish lures.... they never quite caught on (pun) as fish catchers....... but never tried to re-create one....... Aparently NOW.... a few folks are having some success.......

Terry,

a photo wouldn't help much...... If you held one in your hand you would see why. The finish is very reflective and in a photo it just appears as paint. It reminds me of the reflective powers of highway signs and yellow lines when the headlights hit them....... There are a couple listed on ebay right now.

Thanks guys........

BJ

I'm pretty sure it was painted over a chrome finish. I always remembered on the back side of the finish it was chrome. If you start with a chrome lure, you can buy some paint made by dupli-color called Clear Effex which is a holographic style paint that produces the closest thing I've seen to the G finish.

Is there a website for that dupli-color paint?

I googled it, and nothing came up.

I'm pretty sure it was painted over a chrome finish. I always remembered on the back side of the finish it was chrome. If you start with a chrome lure, you can buy some paint made by dupli-color called Clear Effex which is a holographic style paint that produces the closest thing I've seen to the G finish.

BJ,

Thanks for the link.

I went on their site, and found that Pep Boys carries it, and they are 1/2 mile from my house.

I'll check them out.

I'm a little leery of solvent based paints, since I don't have a full spray booth, and my solvent respirator is so old, I'm having trouble finding the filter cartridges for it.

But it looks like a good product, so I'll investigate it further.

Thanks again.

Mark

Haven't been online much in the past few weeks, so you may see me bringing up some posts from that time.

Got an idea from this. Don't know where I'd get some of it, but the road sign thing reminded me of powdered glass. Not sure exactly what the stuff is, but it's what they use to make the lines on the road reflective. Might work well in a topcoat, I don't think the stuff is colored. When I've seen it being used, it looked like it was just a really finely ground white powder. Might even be fine enough to mix with paint.

Next timeI run into the DOT guys at work I'll see if I can get ahold of some.

Edited by clamboni