RickJames

Stencils??

First of all I would like to thank everyone for there help in the past. If it wasnt for this site i honestly would be still scratching my head thinking of where to start.:yay:

Im looking for some stencils to make some pretty basic patterns. Like a firetiger. Ive been looking online but cant seem to find any. Do most people draw and cut all of there stencils? Thanks Guys much appreciated, Rick

I make my own stencils when I need one. I use blue painters tape that can be purchsed at Lowe's. I use an exacto knife with sharp blade. The blue painters tape is pretty durable and comes off very easy.

Hope this helps.

ipock2

http://topfishingplace.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature

Ditto!!!

I make my own stencils when I need one. I use blue painters tape that can be purchsed at Lowe's. I use an exacto knife with sharp blade. The blue painters tape is pretty durable and comes off very easy.

Hope this helps.

ipock2

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature

I use quite a few and have experimented with many more it just takes a lot of trial and error sometimes to create the pattern you are looking for.

I tend to use clear projecter overlays (acetates) from an office supply. There are actually a couple of varieties that offer different flex and thickness. They are relatively cheap and I cut them out with an exacto knife, scissors... You can add the blue painters tape to the edges and gaps to help maintain spacing, and to make them less flexible. You can add tape to the stencils quickly to reduce widths and length to achieve scalability...

And if you take a smaller piece of the overlay material, SOMETIMES you can wrap a bait with the overlay, tape it in place and then trace the pattern you want to replicate, remove it, cut it out and

well that's pretty much it. :oooh: But if it isn't one you did yourself, I wouldn't use it to sell anything because well, your pretty much using someone else's exact pattern and design work, which may be protected. :pissed:

I would also suggest creating stencils for particular bait brands and or bait shapes, so effectively you might have 3-5 stencils just for adding the same basic pattern or line on each of the brands. The arch of a Bandit is different than a Fat Free... which is different from a Rapala DT... Just use permanent marker to label the edge of each stencil.

But I also use heavier plastics for some stencil patterns and create the stencils with a variety of tools.

I use low tack "frisket material", a pliable plastic film with adhesive on the back and a peel-off paper backing (bought it from Dixie Art). One 12" wide roll of the stuff lasts a lifetime. It's designed to draw a pattern on the backing, then cut it out with an Xacto knife and peel off the backing, sticking the stencil on the work. That usually results in pulling paint off baits, so I leave the backing on the film and just hold it against the crankbait. That also lets you flip the stencil over to do the other side of the bait (after drying the paint!). Pretty soon, you collect a library of stencils for gills, kill spots, firetiger, crawdads, you-name-it. The nice thing about frisket material is that it is fairly pliable and easy to fit to crankbait curves.

I have success with an idea I got from The_Rookie. Use pop bottles. Cut out a section, put the design on with a Sharpie, cut it out, hold against side of bait, spray away. The curve on the plastic usually conforms to the side of the bait. I also use milk cartons, which are easier to draw on. Possibilities are endless. BobP is right on with the frisket paper.

David

You would be amazed what some folks use for stencils,well me any way.I found a comb that has curvy teeth and it makes killer stripes on Bluegills,put netting on and spray through comb and you get scales just in the stripes.I tape up every other space to widen them.I cut alot of mine out of the manilla type folders you use for filing things,since they are pretty plentiful around the office.Any time you go to the old Dollar Tree look around there are plenty of things there and for a dollar.If you use clear stencil material you can see exactly where on the bait you are spraying.You can hold it out a bit and get a pretty good fade pattern.I use rattle cans so I have to be creative.All of the ideas I just metioned came from this site:worship:.

You would be amazed what some folks use for stencils,well me any way.I found a comb that has curvy teeth and it makes killer stripes on Bluegills,put netting on and spray through comb and you get scales just in the stripes....:worship:.

sweet! I knew that hair pick would come in handy when my hair fell out! :lolhuh:

I have made stencils a variety of ways and combined these painting aids with home made decals and other techniques.

A trick I learned was to use frisket (clear plastic sheet with tacky back) and cut my stencil patterns using a detailer (a detailer is used to burn feather patterns on wood carvings). The detailer can be controlled to burn a crisp line or turn up the heat to burn back leaving a less sharp edge.

Walmart sells a variety of combs for hair care. I use thes to make vertical stripes. Hold it close and you get a sharp edge...backoff and it defuses a bit. The bars are perfect to recreate the patterns on the old Devils horse lures.

Another trik is I make my own stamps...using 1/16" craft foam sheet. I cut the patterns out and make a base from small wood blocks. I use a variety of watter inks and dyes along with craft paints to transfer the patterns to my plugs while painting.

As soon as I learn how to upload images to this blog...I will send along some photos.

I have been making my own lures many many years...but making my own professional looking crank baits just the past 10 years or so. Like whan I wanted to learn how to tie flies...I went to the pros...the people in that industry who made the best. Often they would have me sit and tie with them. It was a great way to learn from the originators.

In making plugs, I turned to Tim Hughes. Tim was king enough to answer a number of my questions...in fact, Tim turned me on to this web sight.

I experimented with sizes, weights, profiles and many of the options open to experimentation. Many of those early experiments didn't work at all. Yet I learned something from everyone.

Now I have a few knock offs that I use as standards and I work with these to test new paint schemes and patterns.

Using what I learned from fly tying...I have captured craw fis and made photos of various dads all throughout the year (as available in my lakes of interest) and used the information to create some unique color patterns athe are paying off big time.

I use my cranks to find smallmouth bass and once located, I switch to a finnesse bait to clean house.

It works for me.

I wrote about this in Susquehanna Fishing Magazine (www.susquehannafishing.com) a while back. There are some photos in with my artcles.

Feel free to write to me at my email address above and I will get back to you with some photo examples of what I'm making. Or better yet, teach me how to put up pics on this blog....that everyone can see.

I am having the time of my life!

Best to all.

BW