smitty919

next best clear to use????

OK whats the next best clear to use other than dn????

i use the etex now and looking for something i can spray on to speed things up.

i wanted to got with the dn but customer service just plane out suks......

so any and all info would be great im willing to try anything other than brush one clears...

Smitty,

I have been testing ( I know a bunch of you guys are fixing to laugh your a$$ off) minwax waterbased polyurethane. Now, before you all think I'm way off my rocker, the oil based poly is tough as a dog. The good thing about the water based is, although it goes on milky it dries crystal clear, the oil based will darken your colors.

I fish a lot of saltwater, and the oil based poly, stood up better to the toothy fish than the other clear coat I was using. I am headed to the Florida flats in one week, I am taking a load of baits dipped with water based (poly-crylic) with me, so I will post on my return on how they performed. They may come back beat to crap, but they may not. I am not the only one in my area using this for a top coat, so I am thinking it may be ok.

By the way, I am dipping with this, not spraying.

Scott

Parrothead-You are correct--The oil base poly is tough as a dog--Unfortunately the water base Polycrylic is not, and thus makes for a poor topcoat. If you want something very simple into which you can dip your baits, buy some non-yellowing clear gloss lacquer--it will protect your finishes far better than the relatively soft Polycrylic.

Dean

Smitty,

I have been testing ( I know a bunch of you guys are fixing to laugh your a$$ off) minwax waterbased polyurethane. Now, before you all think I'm way off my rocker, the oil based poly is tough as a dog. The good thing about the water based is, although it goes on milky it dries crystal clear, the oil based will darken your colors.

I fish a lot of saltwater, and the oil based poly, stood up better to the toothy fish than the other clear coat I was using. I am headed to the Florida flats in one week, I am taking a load of baits dipped with water based (poly-crylic) with me, so I will post on my return on how they performed. They may come back beat to crap, but they may not. I am not the only one in my area using this for a top coat, so I am thinking it may be ok.

By the way, I am dipping with this, not spraying.

Scott

I tried the same thing and found it was not durable at all. I bass fish and was very disappointed in it.

http://topsfishingplace.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 4 - not allowed to post a website as part of the signature

Parrot

I have already been down that road. Just from sitting in a tacklebox slot and getting shaken up a bit it chips off. Also, it isnt really water proof.....just water resistant. It isnt meant for submerged use. After a few casts into salt water you can feel it getting tacky. At that point just the friction of the water alone will break it down. If you are really bent on using something like that try the exterior polyurethane. It will surely amber your color scheme but atleast it will stay on................

Edited by Sonny.Barile