Ellie Mae

new

hi yall, i decided the other day that i wanted to try to make my own fishing lures and was told this would be the best site for help

not planning to put too much money in this as i dont know if i will be any good

i have a scroll saw and acrylic paint and some paint brushes and thats about it...

working on plans for a cheep and easy lure turner (i am going to see if an old Microwave i have still works and use that motor)

on my list of things to get is 1/2" poplar wood, devcon 2ton epoxy and eyelets

what else is needed to start?

Welcome to the madness, Ellie. I think we all have had the same thoughts as you do. "Not sure if I will be any good." Bet you will be as long as you love to fish, work with your hands, have patience, and don't mind a lot of trial and error.

As far as materials you will need, I guess that we need to know what types of lures you are interested in making. Sounds like you have a decient start, but what types and sizes will give me and the others here an idea of what recommendations to make.

David

Welcome, Ellie

A sharp knife or X-acto, and some sandpaper or emory cloth.

You might want to get some Balsa or Bass wood from the hobby shop. It is much easier to carve.

If you would like to try carving a piece of Paulownia, I will be glad to send you a piece for you to try. It is easy to carve and the blade will go where you where you want it to and not follow the grain.

I will send you a Private Message for you to respond to. You will find the PM button at the top right side of any page on TU.

since palmetto is kind enough to send you some wood i will be gald to send you some belly weights and some diving lips in different sizes and shapes to help you get started in the right direction its much easier if you have the right materials to start with just send me a private message with where to send good luck with building and with fishing Rob "jawjacker"Cochran:)

thank yall soo much but i have to decline.. i cant give out my mailing address, its hard to trust people on the internet these days:( i really wish i could

thanks for all the advise, i cant wait to start biulding

just need a few more things and then i will let yall know how it goes and yall can critique for me:)

you never can be to safe these days mrs jawjacker was just glad to see some other lady that was interested in bait building and made the suggestion that we should help her out in any way we can Karen takes pride in the baits that we build together hope you will find some of the members on here to be very trustworthy if you need any help feel free to pm eighther one of us and we will be glad to help.........well back to plugging along!!!!!! Rob and Karen Cochran Jawjacker lures/Southern secret crankbaits:yay:

Ellie,

Welcome to TU. I understand completely not wanting to give out personal info on the internet. But stick with this site and you will find soon enough who you are comfortable with. A great bunch of people here and they truly do just want to help. At the top of the page you will find a search feature. It is amazing the info that is available on this site. A person can literaly take an aspect of this hobby such as pouring plastic and never ask a question and pour a perfect worm on the first pour if you want to read and search. You are starting out on a bit harder part of the hobby but in some peoples opinion more fun and rewarding. Some people are Masters with spray paint and others do beatifull airbrush work. So jump in and dont get discouraged. And above all have fun.

Shane

you never can be to safe these days mrs jawjacker was just glad to see some other lady that was interested in bait building and made the suggestion that we should help her out in any way we can Karen takes pride in the baits that we build together hope you will find some of the members on here to be very trustworthy if you need any help feel free to pm eighther one of us and we will be glad to help.........well back to plugging along!!!!!! Rob and Karen Cochran Jawjacker lures/Southern secret crankbaits:yay:

this site is great , great people . jawjacker is a great crankbait man builds nice crankbait. i would trust him . :yay:

:yeah: someone familar! lol

yea i have found that out about the "e" word

just kidding i am loving all the advise, its very helpful

and about the lure turner, i have a motor just dont know exactly where it is, i think my neighbors shed (but its ok cause i have their scroll saw at our shed:whistle:)

and believe me i want to trust them soo bad lol i need all the help i can get :teef:

I'll get you a pic of my lure turner soon, Ellie. Glad to see you made it on here. These guys are great and can give you some great info on what your working on. Just dont mention epoxy too much it drive's them crazy!!!! lol

ellie try going to wal-mart and look for a grill rotiseri motor they should be on clearance now since the summer is almost over and they are already putting christmas stuff out what ever happened to halloween and thanksgiving o well try this it is not very expensive and they last forever i have some that are close to 10 years old and still work fine just like the day that i bought them hope this helps you out later mrs jawjacker :)

Rod turning replacement moters from Cabelas or Mudhole are close to $13.00. They are what I use. Cheap and they will last you a year or 2 on continuous operation. And when I say continuous I mean I have a couple that have never been turned off except for power outages. The turners are even loaded wile turning.(Blame it on poor design and lack of correct parts when I needed them):lol:.