bigbass101

who built swimbait with a door hinge style joint

I wonder if there can be too much movement...I think there can't be enough! Maybe your problem is that your joints allow a side movement more than 90 degrees?? I picture of the bait would be helpful to see what is the case...

I built a lot of swimbaits with door hinges, but they really work great...

If you like you can see how I built my joints here:

Swimbait

Your tail can almost bend 180 degree. I don't really know it this is really the problem, but I would expect it to be.

Try to stop your joints by glueing something as stoppers and adjust the joints in a way that you allow maximum some more than 90 degrees of turning. Then try a test run to see what happens.

This is what I would try...

Seems like the amount of movement you are getting would be a good thing. The advantage I see from alot of movement is that the lure will probably have good action at slow speeds which many if not most swimbaits lack. Often bass fisherman like to slow roll their swimbaits and this bait may be perfect for that application.

I still think more weight near the tail should deaden the action. One way you could deaden the action for sure is to remove one of the sections as Lockjaw has suggested.

Jed

Edited by RiverMan

thanks for all the help i added epoxy to the joints to shrink the gap to about half what it was now the tail flexes to about a 90 degrees instead of 180 so now i need to test bet the wind is horrible right now weve had gust over 30 mph

ok so now i have this body shape and size i really like i want to make a mold iv done searches but i cant really find anything on a hard bait mold i guess it shouldnt be much different that a 2 piece soft bait mold? from what i see i could just get a pan fill it with PoP set my body parts in it push them down half way let it harden put some mold release on then pour on second half and let it harden then pull it all apart

what kind of plastic do people use? do you add ballast into the mold or drill and add later?

Luretrekker,

Nice site. Great looking lures.

Where's your price sheet?

I wonder if there can be too much movement...I think there can't be enough! Maybe your problem is that your joints allow a side movement more than 90 degrees?? I picture of the bait would be helpful to see what is the case...

I built a lot of swimbaits with door hinges, but they really work great...

If you like you can see how I built my joints here:

Swimbait