bladesandbaits

Have you ever stopped to think?

Regardles of what facet of lure building you are involved in, have you ever took the time to realize just how many times you handle 1 single bait - from start to finish?

After 10 years of Custom Lure building, it finally hit home with me.

I don't know the exact count of all the type baits I build or paint for one year,but here are a few totals I could come up with.

Custom Paints 1800 to 2000

Spinnerbaits 1500 to 2000

Jigs 1200 to 1500

Now, if I break it down and just look at how many times I handle only one bait for Custom Painting:

note: Customer has removed all hardware.

1- Remove Eyes (if there are any on the bait)

2- Sand

3- Steel Wool

4- Wash Good

5- Tape Lip

6- Prime

7- Base Coat

8,9,10.11 Paint Average Three To 4 Colors

12- Apply Eyes Or ----12,13 Paint Or Dot Eyes

14- Accents ( shad dots ect.)

15- Sign And Date

16-Remove tape

17-Re- Tape Lip

18,19-Clear Coat (in my case spray at least 2 coats)

20-Remove Lip Tape

21-Clean Up Hook Hangers (eyes)

22-Roll In Protective Padding For Shipping

23- Pack For Shipping

24-Address For Shipping

25-Ship

There are some cases where when multiple patterns are painted,these lures can be placed in a holder that will hold multiple baits but for the most part it comes down to handling them one at a time.

Bottom Line------- Figuring on the low end- 1800 baits at handling them an average of 24 times give or take a step is a grand total of

43,200 times my hands touch a crankbait in a year.

And customers wonder why we charge what we do :rolleyes:

Dear God, Know wonder my wife has asked me why I build lures in my sleep.:P

What Say You?

Regards,

Blades

Another note. If you build the Custom crank Bait them add about 10 more tothe total.

1 buy the wood

2 load it in the car

3 move it to the shop

4 trace your pattern onto the wood

5 put double stick tape on the blank

6 stick multiple blanks together to gang cut

7 cut out the blanks

8 rout the left hand blank

9 rout the right hand blank

10 carve a weight slot into the left half blank

11 carve a rattle slot into the left half blank

12 carve a weight slot into the right half blank

13 carve a rattle slot into the right half blank

14 bend the wire form

15 laminate the halves

16 fill any voids

17 sand the blank

18-27 dip in sealer 5-10 times

now start with Blades steps

This is such an excellent thread...some people can't imagine how time consuming some steps can be and how much work is hidden in a custom lure. It sounds so fast "JUST" to carve and then paint the bait and it's finished :eek::teef: But I'm sure everybody here on TU knows best about :lol:

As a craftsman for example it is normal that you get your money per hour...as a lurebuilder it is worth the craftmanship as well or even all the more I think because often it is more than just to build something...it is also design, lots of tests and material, besides the time, which costs money either.

Today where almost everything is machined by robots for my taste handcrafted goods have much more worth...just my :twocents:

MARK OUT BODIES ON SHEET OF WOOD

CUT OUT BODIES ON SCROLL SAW

MARK LOCATION OF LINE TIE AND REAR HOOK HANGER

MARK LOCATION OF BELLY WEIGHT AND LIP SLOT

INDEX CENTER LOCATIONS

DRILL BELLY WEIGHT HOLE

DRILL REAR HOOK HANGER HOLE

DRILL LINE TIE HOLE

SHAPE BAITS ON MACHINE

ROUGH SAND MACHINEDED EDGES

CUT LIP SLOT

CUT OUT LIPS

SAND LIPS

GLUE BELLY WEIGHT

GLUE LIP IN

GLUE LINE TIE IN

GLUE REAR HOOK HANGER

FILL WITH FILLERCOAT

FINISH SAND

SKIM COAT WITH EPOXY

SAND SKIM COAT

SEAL W/ EPOXY

SAND TO ROUGH UP EPOXY SO PRIMER WILL STICK

TAPE OFF LIP

PRIME

PAINT

1ST COAT CLEAR EPOXY

CLEAR LINE TIES ,HOOK HANGERS

2ND COAT CLEAR EPOXY

CLEAN LINE TIES ,HOOK HANGERS

INSTALL SPLIT RINGS

INSTALL HOOKS

CLEAN BAITS FOR PACKAGING

PACKAGE BAITS IN CLAMSHELLS

PACKAGE BAITS FOR SHIPPING

MAIL PACKAGE

There is my operation in a nutshell!!

And the killer is folks look at you cross eyed when you tell them what you want ($) for re-painting a bait(s).

My typical response to that look is fine, go invest hundreds of dollars and hours and you can learn to paint it yourself and you can have a 300$ Rapala or you can have me paint one for you for a small portion of that cost.

And for you guys that do it more for a living, God bless your souls, because until you get a following your probably working below minimum wage.

Im glad you posted this JT.. I wanted to post about this same fact long time ago.. All the dipsticks doing this crap for CHEAP PRICES WERE GETTING UNDER MY SKIN but I havent been doing this long enough to complain out loud yet!!!!! But, since you brought it up!!!! WOOHOO!!!! RELEASE DA HOUNDS!!!! Dean and I have talked about this 1,000 times on the phone before... Here is a interesting fun fact I did for everyone to read!!

Did you know if you charge 10 bucks per lure... to make

10,000 dollars of pure profit.. you need to paint close to 1,500 baits.

I figured at best you have around 1 to 1 1/2 hours of labor.. maybe more.. SO DONT BEAT ME UP ABOUT MY FACTS!!! THEY ARE JUST WELL FUN FACTS!!!

I really dont have data to back them up only tired eyes.. paint all over my hands.. and my little girl looks older than I last remember !! TIME SURE GOES BY FASTER when you work freakin 15 to 17 hours a day so people dont complain about WHERES MY FREAKIN BAIT!!!...

I TELL YOU WHERE YOUR BAIT IS!!! ITS IN A BOX COLLECTING DUST!!! with all the other 400 baits I got to paint!!!!! AND IF YOU ASK ME ONE MORE TIME!!! I WILL WAIT ANOTHER MONTH BEFORE I EVEN TAKE THE HOOKS OFF!!!!!...and dont just show up at my DOOR EITHER!!! (GATOR!!) LOL:lol: I might be getting my grove on with one of the many hot chicks that come over to watch me paint!! What can I say the CHICKS DIG DA TATER HOG!!!:yeah: Hey that AXE CHOCOLATE CRAP WORKS!!!

sorry I FEEL BETTER NOW!!! ...ok.. lets just say you have 1.5 hours of labor for a repaint!

That means you have to work 2,250 hours to get that 10,000 dollars! THAT's $4.44 per hour! I RAISE MY PER BAIT PAINT JOB PRICE TO 29.95 on ebay.. nobody has bought one yet.. oh well!!! MY TIME IS WORTH MORE THAN THAT!! If they dont want to pay for it!! I will go back to ONLINE POKER!!... But I did auction off 50 or 60 paint job auctions on ebay with a avg selling price of 20 bucks per lure! If they want your work they will pay more for it! But even at 20 bucks per lure.. your not getting rich... Just making 14.44 per hour of profit

MORE INTERESTING FACTS! ENJOY IF MY MATH IS WRONG!! WATCH THE AXE VIDEO AGAIN and you will forget about it!

1,500baits at 10 bucks per lure equals $10,000 profit 4.44 per hour

1,500 baits at 20 bucks per lure equals $21,660 profit 14,44 per hour

1,500 baits at 25 bucks per lure equals $29,160 profit 19.44 per hour

1,500 baits at 30 bucks per lure equals $36,660 profit 24.44 per hour

Fortunately there will always be the customers who do appreciate all our

hard work and will pay what you ask for your products.

I've never been shy about my prices and the folks that can't afford it simply aren't the market I make my products for.

Always sell for what you feel your lures are worth guys. It's a big world out there and lots of great customers who will pay you what you're really worth.

So many of you sell your lures for too little in my opinion and that only hurts you in the long run.

Tater ............. holly cow!!!!!!! what a post!

That Axe link is great! :lol:

On repaints do you have to pay the excise tax? Is that only for the production on a new lure?

It is amazing how much time we put into our baits. I know I only put my lures on ebay. If I was to charge for the time / hour calculation they would freak out! I just post them for a starting price for .99 cents and have been very very lucky have some people bid on them.

I get batty if I do 20 lures in a row! I had to take a 2 month break!!!!!!!!! :popcorn: 1500 lures!!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

John

I build just for me. They are not nearly as pretty as most that I see on this site.

Day one.......

1. pick out a plank from my pile.

2. Trace out lure.

3. Run through the ban saw.

4. Sand all faces (the old fashioned way......)

5. Radius edges on the router

6. Drill for weights and hookeyes

7. Sand again

8. Install weights and hookeys with glue and filler

9. Trace out lip on 1/8" lexan.

10. Cut lip out with coping saw.

11. Clean up edges of lip (file and sand)

Day two......

12. Sand filler and hookeye areas to remove excess material

13. Finish sand with fine grit.

14. Mask eyehooks and prime 2 coats.

Day three......

15. Paint with airbrush atleast 2 colors and painted eyes

Day four.......

16. Clear coat (brush) atleast 3 coats.

17. Oven cure

Day five......

17. Snap rings and hooks

18. Admire (while drinking beer)

First Saturday after completion......

19. Take lure to the river

20. Tie onto line

21. Loose lure.

22. Say swear words

I used to make them in batches of about 40-50, usually in a batch I would only do 2 - 3 different colour schemes. From start to completion would take about 4 days, I would complete a step and go and do something else, then come back and carry on to the next. I used to love seeing them all painted, lined up ready to topcoat, they looked like lollies (candy??), all exactly the same, just different colours.

I worked out that I made about 4.5-5 an hour, for which I got $4.80 ea, take out the cost of hooks (VMC) rings, lips and the brass hook hanger, which I paid $1200 to have the die made, including 3000 hangers, the guys at the tackle shops were laughing at me, they were making $4.80 on each one, for standing behind a counter.

This was all about 25 years ago, now (when I get back to it) I would be lucky to finish 2 a day. I am doing colours, that usually work and are what I want, I can play with foil, and different weights, lose them all and not care, just go home and make some more - biggest problem I have is getting the wood.

I don't think I could bear to count the steps, it would put me off again, I like it where you can please yourself what you paint and when you paint, never a slave again.pete

Edited by hazmail
edit text