cadman

Decals, Water based or other

I have a question for you guys that someone here may have an answer to. I am looking for a way to make clear transfer decals like the ones you used to put on car models back in the day. I would like to take my inkjet printer, print a colored or all black logo on a clear film, and then peel it off or transfer this to a jig body or willow blade. The finished product must be supple enough to go around curves with out wrinkling. Then once it dries, I would like to clear coat this with DT2. I

Water slide decals is what you want..Just besure too get the paper with the clear background and for ink jet printers.Also..after you transfer your design too the paper you'll have too spray a couple light coats of a sealer over the paper too seal the ink...a clear lacquer or enamel or acrylic out of a rattle can will work just fine.

you'll need some type of protective coat over the decal after it's applied aswell....Nathan

i use waterslide decals from time to time on request.

i apply the decals after the first coat of epoxy (or the second coat of 2k urethan out of the airbrush.) this gives me the opportunity to move the decal on the bait a bit and put it to the right place.

i seal with D2T directly on the decal.

jerkfreak2zv4.th.jpgthpix.gif

sorry i know the text is cheesy :-(

Edited by dramone

Dramone did you print those your self or order them off the net i,ve been looking into the same thing but am not sure how well a inkjet printer would work.I,ve read an alps printer worked well but are no longer available. If you did do them yourself what type of printer did you use and are you happy with the results. Cadman do a search on one of the rod building sites i,ve found info there on this subject both doing your own and ordering them custom made. Decal Connection.Inc was one of the places.Google waterslide decals for the blank sheets chemicals and how-to

Jimbo

If you look in Hobby Lobby testor's has a some actually decal paper that you print the decal on.. then you take the testor sealer spary can and spary the decal after you print it.. THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!! make sure you seal up the decal after you print it off your printer..after it drys out... you cut it out... and And dip it in water just like the old model cars!

The Rookie

I am trying to remember this off the top of my head from my rod building decal info. So this may or may not be correct but check into it before committing to it completely. One issue with clear Decal paper and ink jet printers is printing the color white. I am not sure why but the fix for my Rod decals was to order white decal paper and then print the decal. It then has to be spray with a clear coat and let dry before you do the transfer or the ink smears. If you want more detailed info, I can dig it out of my peperwork somewhere as I am typing this from memory as I went through this a couple years ago.

Ran across this site today looking for something else.Home Page - Bare-Metal Foil Co.. They have decal paper, some foil that looks interesting and molding materials. They also explain how to use the products they sell. Might help

Jim

I want to thank everyone for all the help. This is exactly what I was looking for.....Great Link Jimbo............Thanks to all.............Ted