IslandBass

Anyone Paint their Reels?

Hello, everyone! I was wondering if anyone painted their reels, and if so what types of paint and techniques and methods you used.

My first endeavor actually started out promising during the priming phase and application of the purple paint I used, but the secondary color (metallic silver from Rustoleum) doomed the project. It never adhered to the primer.

I have since learned from some that light sanding might have helped and an airbrush might have given me more flexibility.

STA74743.jpg

Initially primed with Rustoleum

STA74755Large.jpg

Purple outer...

STA74764Large.jpg

... and metallic silver was the intial plan.

Sorry, but the end result is too embarrassing to post. But if you have painted a reel or two, I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

i painted this old BPS extreme reel. Used house of kolor automotive spray paints i got on clearance rack at The Walmarts. Similar prep as yours - although i did not use primer. Its held up exceptionally well. I think i would stick with using automotive sprays like duplicolor and finishing it off with an automotive clear coat.

phrod004.jpg

Wow!!! May I ask what paints you used and clear finish? Also the airbrush? And your methodology?

Sorry to ask so much, but after giving up and being deflated somewhat, seeing your reel and paint job has renewed my vigor to try again.

I already have an air compressor but I am still confused on the variety of airbrushes. I would hope that the air brush I choose I could also use to paint my plugs.

Any advice you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Alex

I used the Createx paints the the same that I use on my cranks. I also use a two part clear coat epoxy that is made to cover table tops. This is great stuff you can find it at wal mart or hobby lobby. You have to take all of the plates off of the reel to do this. I have a couple of air brushes that I use. Just get a good one and you can do baits with it as well. The table top clear coat is great because it will self level out with out having to put it on a drying wheel. Just make sure that you do not get to much of it in places were screws have to go back or other components have to fit back over.

Take an older reel and play with it first. I would stay with the clear I suggested because if you do not and you have a worm on your hook and store it on the reel it could eat the clear and then you have a reel that looks like :censored:.

Hope that helps and have fun.

oh no cheetam found us..... :censored:

lol - that looks SWEET man! can i get one done up like that goofy pink jerkbait you had at DK open?:tipsy:

For the record, there were two goofy pink jerkbaits I did for the DK open, and I am proud to say they weren't the last items picked in the giveaway! :yeah:

I loved the look on some of the guys' faces when they saw those baits. I guess not everyone knows pink is a hot springtime color on St. Clair. Who da thunk?

For the record, there were two goofy pink jerkbaits I did for the DK open, and I am proud to say they weren't the last items picked in the giveaway! :yeah:

I loved the look on some of the guys' faces when they saw those baits. I guess not everyone knows pink is a hot springtime color on St. Clair. Who da thunk?

i've always heard smallies like the bubble gum jerkbaits for some reason... being on the west side i don't necessarily have the same opportunities to test out that theory! at least they like black & gold just fine anyway

Texas, most reels have an aluminum frame so they'll need to be primed and painted, or enameled. The problem with the rattle cans is it's hard to keep the paint thin while at the same time making sure you get complete coverage. There's a lot of little hard to reach areas that make an airbrush very useful.