RiverMan

Question for crank experts

I want to make a lure much like the old Heddon Tadpollies in which the bill is part of the body...not a seperate piece of lexan. The process that Chip outlined in the tutorial is not so easy when the bill is part of the body, the bill has some detail that makes things difficult. I'm wondering if the bodies could be cut out with the "duplicator"? The Heddon Tads float when not being cranked so any suggestions on wood type?

Thanks in advance!

I might add that I have made the lures in the past with limited success by molding them in featherlite...they look good but don't seem to run right when cranked hard.

Jed

Thank you for the reply. I successfully carved the lure body today from cedar and it looks great. I ended up leaving the bill as one piece with the body. Although I have made many plastics in the past this was my first wooden crank, great fun watching the thing take shape and I am excited about making others. Wishing that I had a band saw as cutting the blank out with a jig-saw was tricky. I wanted to attach a photo of it here but keep getting a "microsoft error".

Thank you again and Happy New Year.

Jed

That bait would be a real tough one to duplicate in the way that it was made. I have several of them that belonged to my grandfather. I would love to see what you have done. Keeping everything lined up and straight would be one heck of a challenge with this bait.

Skeeter

I was afraid you would say that Skeeter. I have made some and would post the pic here in the string but for some reason "microsoft errors" keep coming up. Maybe I will just post them in the gallery instead.

The tads I made from featherlite looked the best but wouldn't run, I suspect now that I had them balanced incorrectly. I tried my best to balance them but after taking a closer look last night they were still off considerably from the original version. I have also carved a few from cedar following Chips tutorial but have to tell you getting the bill exact has proven a major challenge. I can get it close but when you look right down it from the front there is some slight variations that seem nearly impossible to eliminate...at least with my very amateur approach. I'm guessing that some of the guys here could do a good job on the baits and eventually I will figure it out too.

Cold outside, 4 degrees, great bait-making weather!!

Jed