spinerbaits

clear coating

i am painting plastic cranks with createx and wasco water based paints. i am putting a water based gloss topcoat on when i am finished. has anyone else done this and will it hold up after some drying time. am new to painting and have lerned alot from this site. thaks to all who respond. i too am turning my pressure up to 60 or 70 and turning my paint down low for my first coats, 1or2, then turning my paint up abit to get the look i want using a badger. have got a pashee but can not control the amount of paint i want with the pashee.

I know we have alot of plastic lure painters and surprised you haven't got a reply as we speak. The most inportant thing to me in painting is the outside coating(clearcoat).Even the best plastic lures(pro speaking such as BOMBER ect.) I see fail in the water such as color loss ect. Plastic looks real good painted but its last on my list for long term life. Its a properties subject. GOOD LUCK!

I paint plastic baits with createx also, but i use devcon epoxy for my top coat. Don't know how a water based clear top coat would hold up,but i have my doubts. I've had a few lures that i have coated with devcon ,chip or wear away, and when that happens the waterbased paint goes too. I'm not set up for spraying anything but waterbased,so I've started to apply my top coat twice,so far so good. I paint alot of shad style lures and on the sharp edge it hard to get the epoxy to buildup. Sorry i couldn't be of more help :(

I agree with the use of laquer on plastic lures but remember ,because of the hardness of plastic > its going to chip or fade.unlike wood and lead that offer flex or give. Plastic,cork,styrefoam & balsawood are tough to work with in the subject of chip/scratch proof finish.(Paint can't bond to plastic the same way as wood .)

I doubt if your water based clear is going to work as good as the other epoxy clear coats work. The water base clear will be a very coat compared to the epoxies. But even not knowing about the water based clear, I would venture to say that the epoxies would probably be more durable also. I'll let you read all of the posts on Devcon, Flex Coat and Envirotex. Just do a search on them and you will find many posts to read. Then you can decide which is best for you.

I used to use an automotive polyurethane clear (IMRON), but even that is not as tough as epoxyand it's very dangerous to your health. If you are worried about adhesion, clear with the same type of paint as your basecoat. Lacquer over lacquer, waterborne over waterborne. You will not have much durability though. When you use epoxy, it doesn't really adhere to the basecoat-you just kind of encapsulate the lure with it. The trick is to find epoxy that is not super brittle and you wont chip the bait as easily. Keep in mind if you clear with something that lasts forever, no one will need to buy more of your lures!

I use Createx paints, and have found that 2-ton Decon epoxy (buy it at Wal-Mart) seems the most durable and practicle. It gives a deep shine and magnifies colors, and it really livens the bait up, but other coatings will do the same. I also started out with acrylic gloss, and it will not hold up for long - use the epoxy! As for adhesion, I'm not so sure, but if you get a good, solid coat of epoxy over it, the paint under it "AIN'T goin' nowheres!" It's the only topcoat i've used that your fingernails can't dent. As for Color Me Fishin's idea "Keep in mind if you clear with something that lasts forever, no one will need to buy more of your lures!" - I agree, but I always thought that if they lasted longer, they'd want a couple more. I believe quality is key...

spinnerbaits,

I think that the clearcoat you are using will not hold up to the rigors of fishing. The clearcoat that you are using is used to protect a paint job from fading while the subject is hanging on the wall. That poor critter is done slamming into rocks. I am a Devcon freak. Everyone here knows it. Hughesy tried to slide out on what to use. He has stayed out of the never ending clearcoat battle. But the suggestion that he gave you was a good one. I would try the Devcon because it is easy and cheap to get from Wal Mart. Get the long drying stuff. I use a small paint brush to put it on. You can clean the brush with acetone when you are done. Mix it up, spread it on, and rotate the bait slowly for about 20 to 30 minutes so that the epoxy will even out and then hang it to dry. Wait overnight and then take it fishing. You may like to try the other clearcoats that the guys use on this site. Hughesy layed them out for you in his suggestions. But the Devcon is the easiest stuff to get your hands on for trying it out.

Skeeter