Mattlures

sombody sell me a drying wheel.

I will make my own if I have to but I dont want to. I would rather buy one. come on guys name your price and send me pics.

mattlures@yahoo.com

Thanks

matt

matt,

What kind of lures are you drying? How long, how heavy?

I have a couple of pictures of my wheel in the gallery.

Easy to make, cheap, works. Based on a rotisserie motor and spit with two plywood discs.

David I responded. Mark I am looking to turn as many baits as possible. I will be drying sections of swimbaits. Some of the sections are large(up to 3oz) but most are smaller. I am thinking I want one with mutiple discs with a buch of aligator clips on each disc.

Edited by Mattlures

Matt,

If you want more that two discs on the wheel, you'll probably have to go with two pair, and a bearing block at midspan of the shaft for the extra weight. That can be just a simple plywood T with two nails in the top to keep the spit from wandering.

If you're going to suspend lures and parts between two discs, alligator clips probably won't work as well as cup hooks or screw eyes and paper clips for attachment. If you're drying light pieces, the alligator clips would be find.

Remember, the larger the diameter of the plywood discs, the greater the turning speed at the outer edges, so don't get a motor that's fast. 1 rpm is plenty.

Good luck.

Mark

I,d like a second opinion on "quote" ( the greater the turning speed at the outer edges) please. 1+1 = 2 or is it 11?? i,m really confused now did i do that to myself or did mark do it to me. Here it is 1am and i gotta go find a stop watch go out in the garage and check the speed of my dryer.Thanks Mark LOL

Jimbo,

I should have said the greater the actual speed, since, at one rpm, a lure set on the outside edge of a 16" wheel will travel farther in one rpm than one set at the midpoint. The diameter is larger, the farther out from the center you go, so the fast the lure has to travel in the same one rpm.

That's why you get better gas mileage from larger tires, because the car travels farther in one revolution of the wheel.

Sorry for the sloppy wording. Too many paint fumes!

I'm getting the Rookie Syndrome! ;)

Mark is absolutely right in his theory. To get a feel for what is happening, imagine a wheel much larger, say 50m diameter! At that size, at 4 rpm, it would suck the skin off a lemon.

The idea is to turn the lure over fast enough so that gravity does not have time to pull the top coat down or sag, but not so fast that the centrifugal force causes the top coat to be thrown outwards.

Even a 1 meter diameter wheel at 4 rpm should be fine. I looked up the subject, with a view to doing some calculations, to see what the limiting speed would be, as this question often comes up. The maths was a little more involved than I thought it would be, so I bottled out.

Dave

Take the circumference, 2XpiX radius, and then multiply that by the rpms, and you'll get the speed of the lure at any point on the wheel.

My outer ring of hangers is 7" out from the center spit, so, in my case, it's 2X3.14X7X1, since I have a one rmp motor. 43.96 inches per minute, or just over 3 1/2 feet. Sounds like a lot, but it's a snail's pace, unless you're trying to do a touch up on the fly! :mad:

Thanks for clearing that up boys i couldn,t get my head around that last nite for nothing no way no how.If your speed was to fast you should be able to use a variable speed control used for ceiling fans they look like a dimmer switch. i,m not positive but don,t think it would hurt the motor.Anyone try that and did it work.

Here's how we build ours. It turns about 4 rpm and will handle hundreds of lures. It stands about 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The motor is your basic 1/4 hp 1175 rpm hooked up to a gear reduction and then its reduced more from the small pulley to big pulley belt drive. Its very strong and can handle lot of weight.

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel2.jpg

3812_thumb.attach

The size of the wheel is really unimportant, it only dictates the speed the lure moves through space, which is not a factor unless the lure is moving so fast the the friction of the air pushes the topcoat around or centrifugal force exceeds gravity. So, a bigger wheel can only hurt the process.

What really matters is the RPM. RPM/2 tells you how often the lures rotates 180 degrees (flips over) each minute. 4 to 6 RPM seems to work just fine.