jimbo

Few Questions

1 The guys had a few splits rings fail last week while musky fishing so it got me thinking i should pay more attention to what i,m using. Will be ordering in bulk so want to get it right the first time.On average these will be used on 8 to 10" wood baits,different styles,jerk stick swim,using 4/0 or 5/0 hooks and 1/8 SS cotter pins hunting for 45"+ demons of the deep. I,m thinking 3x round or oval size 6 any ideas.

2 Line ties in lip is this to help the lure go deeper

3 denatured alcohol is this the same as methyol hydrate.

Thanks Jim

Edited by jimbo

Jimbo,

I can only speak to number one.

I've found Owner split rings are the strongest. Most of my friends who throw swimbaits swear by them.

I use #6 or #7 on my swimbaits, which range from 6" to 12", and whose weights vary from 3oz to 7oz.

Most of the guys who fish the salt for larger fish also use Owners.

I don't know if you can get them in bulk.

I also like the Danielson brand, but they're not as heavy duty.

Tacklewarehouse carries both.

We use 3X stainless steel split rings from Stamina in sizes 5 & 6 ....the 5's are rated at 220# test and the 6's are rated at 350# test they will never fail.....you can get them in stainless steel or black nickel. I believe Wolverine makes them.

Rod

Edited by rjbass

Thank you boys Sounds like size 6 ,3x should cover most of what i want maybe with some 5 & 7 on the back burner.If anyone has tryed the oval i,d like to hear your thoughts Lure Making.com sells them but don,t give the lb rating and Hagens don,t show them in theyre catalog. It would be nice to use owner rings but the price OUCH.Thanks for clearing up the alcohol ques bob thought i had it right but wasn,t sure.

Take care Jim

PS: HOPPY HOLLOWWEEN

Edited by jimbo

My take on the ovals is that some like them for the line tie because the shape helps to keep the line out of the split ring gap or whatever its called, the place you use to attach the split ring. If line gets in there it can get cut. I wouldn't use them for hooks, they don't really offer any benefit. And if you are musky/pike fishing and using steel leaders and/or snaps, they don't offer any benefit for the line tie either.

I have heard from a friend of split ring failures on standard size Muskie baits this season. They were not made in the U.S. and they were from a large Bass fishing supplier. We have been using them on the tail hooks of straight baits and it seems to allow more action. We have both been using Rosco Stainless in number 5 and 6 depending on bait size with out a problem. I bought them at a local bait shop retail for $10.00 per hundred. Another good thing they are American Made.

Woodie i agree don,t like using them (split rings) either but sometimes don,t have much of a choice, For example i,m using cotter pins not screw eyes and install them before i clear coat so i can,t hang the hooks on the bait until after that therefore split rings are needed. Also agree setting the drag properly very important however if someone is using one of my lures and he pulls it in the boat after losing a fish and sees something has failed do you think it would be blamed on drag setting or LURE BUILDER. Are the 3x binding because they are that much thicker and don,t slide around the eye of the hook? If so i wonder if the oval rings might not solve this problem, just a thought.

Fishthanks i bought some Eagle Claw(thinking US made) rings not long ago and when i tried to but some on a lure the metal had no memory and stayed open after i removed the pliers.Checked the back of the package and they were not made in North America.Those rosco your talking about are they oval or 3x rings.

Thanks Jim

Jimbo something for you think about, fall fishing is a trolling time of year. Not saying everyone trolls but alot of people do this time of year. trollers are hard on there gear reels rods and lures are all up to fail due the stress of trolling. So you need to ask were you trolling or casting when the split rings failed. I been making musky baits for years and never had a split ring failer that I know of but people in the southern musky waters dont troll like you guys up north do, dont ask me why so stress on gear isnt as tough as it is up north.Trollng 4mph and hanging up on rocks with the wrong drag setting, line, and rod choice something is going to give sometime or another.I myself beef up all my plugs with overkill thinking the samething you do but lets face it something will give sometime or another, but atleast you are thinking of the people who use your baits or you wouldnt have posted this here.:yay:

Jimbo I do not see anything marked 3x. They are rated at 40lbs. for the size 5, and 50lbs.for the size 6. They say American Made Rosco Terminal Tackle. They are Stainless Steel and I am spreading them enough for both the .072 and .092 screw eyes and 3x Mustad tinned hooks and they spring back perfect. I have taken fish up to 35.40 pounds on the size 5 with out a problem. My friend had three failures on fish in one day during our June tournament with the import stuff, they pulled straight and cost him one big fish for sure.