Vodkaman

Adjustable ballast mold

This two piece resin/filler mold allows me to fine tune the end result. Also, I can adjust the bolts to suit the ballast of a different lure, still using the same mold.

I have only done one pour with it, to test it out. It seems to work well,but My pouring skills will need some fine tuning. The threaded cast is somewhat difficult to extract. I found it best to back off the bolt a couple of turns, then flip the casting out with a small screw driver.

The burnt appearance is where I burned off the excess wax release agent. Didn't want to risk any explosions.

A better solution would be a plain steel slug in front of the bolt tail, thus removing the threads from the cast. Would work great as an aluminium mold.

Just something for you all to chew over.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
forgot to press upload. Duh!

Here are some simple aluminium molds , that I have made many years ago .

Their principle can certainly be adapted to produce various sizes of ballast weights for lures , some filed-in marker/scale lines on the round dowels would assure same sized slugs time after time:yes: .

Off course such molds can also be made with multiple cavities , only for my own humble needs I did not want to pick up that work and challenge , also it is hard to get larger aluminium pieces at the scrabyard of my work:( !

greetz , diemai

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

MOLDS_01.JPG

MOLDS_02.JPG

MOLDS_03.JPG

3841_thumb.attach

3842_thumb.attach

3843_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai
misspelling

hi diemai has it :worship: but you can make a bracket for multiple molds with 2 cavities one on each end of the mold ..one pour 2 weights at a time ..you need to make a bracket to hold your molds in and beable to hold your scale rods in place made from aluminium :whistle: so you can turn them in for light wt. and back them out for heavy wts. make a scale on them or I would make one rod for each wt.:yay: good luck