baitmaker2

Translucent White Micarta

Sorry, I don't know where to get this Micarta you talk about but I'm interested in finding out what it is & what the advantages are opposed to Lexan. I'm going to assume that it's similar to the circuit board material that some use? Aside fom the fact that it would require a smaller cut for lip slots & take up less room in the tackle box, how does it compare for durability? Diving depth? Action? Thanks, if I can find out enough about it maybe I can find a local distributor of a similar product.

Here ya go: Model Rocket Kits, Parts & Supplies

These guys are into hobby rocketry not lure lips but the translucent white is what I've gotten from them. Best ask about the color to make sure they haven't changed over to some ugly green or yellow color on their G10 circuit board. They sell G10 (aka Garolite, aka Micarta, etc) in 9"x12" sheets, in several thicknesses. Good service, OK price.

Edited by BobP

Bob,

Forgive an ignorant question, but I've never handled that G10 material, so I'm clueless (I know, what else is new? :lol:)

Is this stuff tough enough to use as fins, especially tail fins, on swimbaits, and easy enough to work with that it can be shaped and drilled without cracking?

Mark, how thin do you need the stuff? I have made several tails out of 1/8 lexan that have worked out very well. I add them to my three section swimbaits and make them four sections. Has made a nice difference. However, you can get the circuit board in 1/32 inch. I have some of this on order so don't know how well it works yet. Let you know when I know.

David

G10 is lighter and less flexible than polycarbonate but it's easy to cut and drill with standard hand tools and it shapes easily with a Dremel sanding cylinder. I've never had it split or fracture but it will abrade away over time when used on crankbait lip. I've never used it as a segment on a swimbait.