Cal Bassin

Allumilte or Feather lite?

I have finally achieved the action and balance that I have been looking for in my baits, and am ready to mold a few for some limited production.

What are the pros and cons on these two casting options?

Floats? Hardness? Accuracy in molding details? Holds screws well?

I will be using a two part mold system.

Thank you,

Billy

Z6 Trout Swimbait - Video of 12" Z6 Trout Swimbait - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alumilite has a density of 1.05g/cm3, this means that it is slightly heavier than water and will sink. Silicon microspheres can be added to reduce the density, but the more spheres you add, the thicker the mix and harder to pour. The viscosity without the spheres is 190 cps.

Smooth-on feather lite has a density of 0.67g/cm3, so floats. It is an equivalent density to beech. It has a viscosity of 400 cps, so is much thicker than standard alumilite resin. This will not allow much room for adding additional spheres, if at all.

As for your questions, I have not used either of these products yet, just done the research. I would not anticipate any problems with either.

All the work that you did setting up your bait for your required action, may well have to be repeated, unless your prototype wood was of a similar density.

Here are a few links:

Alumilite: Alumilite - Products - Casting Resins

Feather lite: http://tb.smodev.com/tb/uploads/Feather_Lite.pdf

Wood density: PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON WOODS

I would say the feather lite was the way to go. Less hassle mixing the microspheres (not healthy, mask required), also the density will be (or should be!) consistent, which is the whole idea of casting.

Dave

Alumilite has a density of 1.05g/cm3, this means that it is slightly heavier than water and will sink. Silicon microspheres can be added to reduce the density, but the more spheres you add, the thicker the mix and harder to pour. The viscosity without the spheres is 190 cps.

Smooth-on feather lite has a density of 0.67g/cm3, so floats. It is an equivalent density to beech. It has a viscosity of 400 cps, so is much thicker than standard alumilite resin. This will not allow much room for adding additional spheres, if at all.

As for your questions, I have not used either of these products yet, just done the research. I would not anticipate any problems with either.

All the work that you did setting up your bait for your required action, may well have to be repeated, unless your prototype wood was of a similar density.

Here are a few links:

Alumilite: Alumilite - Products - Casting Resins

Feather lite: http://tb.smodev.com/tb/uploads/Feather_Lite.pdf

Wood density: PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON WOODS

I would say the feather lite was the way to go. Less hassle mixing the microspheres (not healthy, mask required), also the density will be (or should be!) consistent, which is the whole idea of casting.

Dave

Thanks for the stats Vman