jeep brah

help

It depends on how hard your balsa is. Unless you specifically order hard balsa, the wood you get from most sources requires thru-wire construction, IMO. Install a screw eye into the end grain of a piece of your stuff and see how hard it is to pull out. That will give you an idea of how it's gonna last.

@ jeep brah

I wouldn't trust screw eyes in ANY kind of balsa , they may hold the average fish , but what's gonna happen , if the fish of a lifetime is on :huh:?

I don't use balsa a lot(almost not at all) , but if I do , I always go thru-wired:yes: !

good success , diemai

probably the easiest stuff to find is 19gauge stainless (most hardware stores)... btw, always go w/ stainless. I got some hardened stainless about 5 years back from some canadian lure making website (can't remember what it was called) and managed to get away w/ a slightly thinner diameter, which is better for smaller baits, but it was also much stouter & stronger than normal hardware store wire. The stouter wire is more difficult to form, but keeps your bait "in tune" much better than the softer stainless.

@ jeep brah

Here in Europe we're not that familiar with your local American measurements , so I just advice you to choose the diameter of your stainless steel wire accordingly to the size of your lures .

Won't make no sense to furnish a small lure with a thicker wire or vice versa !

I use ordinary SSt welding wire(a lot cheaper than special luremaking wire , only a fraction less rigid) in diameters of 0,8 mm , 1,0 mm and 1,5 mm(if you could figure out about those metrics , I can't about your local "gauge" :huh::(!) .

The latter thick one only for baits bigger than 10" or even 12" , the 1,0 mm is a good choice to cover most lures of mine .

I could go thinner than 0,8 mm for smaller baits less than 2 1/2" , in this case I had to find a thinner , far more rigid kinda wire , just like A-Mac stated !

Greetz , diemai