.dsaavedra.

Swim Test Results?

i'm working on a new swimbait and i'm realy iffy on whether or not this one will swim.

my question: if i were to test the action of this bait while its still square (before any shaping) will that be greatly different than after i shape it?

i'd hate to have it swim perfect while its square and not work after i've shaped it, or the other way around.

i think i can answer my own question, it will be very different, but i just thought i'd ask you guys.

is there any way to test a lure for swimming action before you put all the effort into shaping it?

I would say no but I think you can test it as you carve. I think you would be a long ways a head of the curve if you could find out what shapes start to dampen or make a swim more dramatic. You could also know how to change a swim on a current swim to the swim you want, not just putting up with the one you ended up with.

I agree with what Kelly wrote. But you have to seal before emersing in water, otherwise you will compromise the paint. Also, hardware will affect the result, so you really need to add the hooks for the testing. This can be temporary fixing, but the additional weight has to be represented.

What you cannot represent is the weight of the top coat, but Like Kelly said, there is a lot to learn from all this extra work. Maybe you could post your findings here, teach us all a thing or two. Make notes.

Dave

Testing it unshaped may give you an approximation of how it will swim when completed, but I don't see why you'd want to do the swim test at that point. Why not shape it, install the ballast and all hardware, waterproof the bait and THEN do the swim test? If the lip is not right, you can cut it out and try another shape/angle without ruining paint and topcoat. If you cut out the lip, use an epoxy putty stick sold any any home center to fill the void left from the old lip, then recut the slot. If you're uncertain how the lip will work but think the lip angle is OK, make the lip as large as the max you think may work, then use a Dremel sanding cylinder to shorten and reshape the lip as you do the swim test. That works particulary well with square lips. If you want to really tweak the bait for best performance, this is the easiest way I know to do it. Yeah, it's more work but when finished, you can build any number of copies that you know will run the way you want them.

Edited by BobP

@ DSV

In fact a bathtub would sometimes be to short for proper testing , especially for swimbaits , those obviously require some retrieve distance to "kick" to work .

Apart from building a test tank there is only one solution for you :

BUILD MORE BAITS:yay: !

Taking three or even five of them down to the river makes the walking effort worthwile:lol: !

good success , diemai

i was planning out all these tank designs for testing lures when my dad said "why don't you just dig a ditch".

brilliant.

i am going to dig a ditch on the edge of my yard about 1 foot wide, 1 foot deep, and 10 feet long. i'll line the inside with a tarp, fill it with water, and test lures in there. i'll keep it covered with a tarp when i'm not using it.

Diemai is right about the 'kick in'. Vortex driven lures will not operate until a minimum speed is reached. It is a Reynolds number thing. Even then, it can take a cycle or two before the rhythm settles down.

The ditch sounds like a good idea for innitial testing. 18" would be better. I have seen video's of successful bath tub tests though.

Dave

i spent most of yesterday digging it out.

i got it all dug out, about 15' long, 3' wide, and 1' deep, and i was standing there looking at it thinking, it needs to be a lot deeper.

so i got out the pick axe and started busting up the ground at the bottom. hopefully this will make the next foot easier to dig.

won't get much time to work on it until this weekend, hoping to have it done by the end of this weekend though.

good idea about a set of test trebles ;) i will definitley be doing that.

Good job DSV. 12" deep was never going to be enough. Good idea of yours to line the trench too, or the sides will just crumble in.

Of course, if it works out good, you can make some shuttering and line it with concrete. Paint it white, for videos. Flag stone the surround. Aww hell, add a fountain and a few fish. Lol.

Good luck with it.

Dave